Programatically setting the values of a custom value list

Isis

This topic is 5793 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all,

Does anyone know how to programatically set the values of a custom value list? For example, i can get the values of a value list with:

[color:green]ValueListItems ( fileName ; valueList )

in a script step. But then how can i take this list and within a script set a different custom value list to have the same set of values?

Using FMPro 8.5 Advanced.

Peace,

Dan

Take your valuelistitems and set a global field with those ID's in the one record table.

(If you are using a one record table that means you are working away from the primary data table you wish to filter, find, manipulate...etc)

Base your second level value list on this global field and set the value list to show only related records.

Not sure why get valuelistitems, can you expand.

Mike

Edited by Guest

Make a one record table. Use a field from there to base your value list on. Just put each new value on a new line.

Thanks normanicus. This does not get the list of values back into a custom item list. Instead, it puts it into a field in a table, which has its advantages. I will consider this approach.

Peace,

Dan

Take your valuelistitems and set a global field with those ID's in the one record table.

Not sure why get valuelistitems, can you expand.

Mike

I am working on a clients database that someone else developed in 5/6 and is now in 8.5. The client sells the template and has updates. The solution uses a bunch of custom value lists which allows the end user to modify the values in the custom value list.

So the problem is how to get the custom value lists updated from the old db into the updated version. Obviously using a custom value list for a set of data that is changeable by an end user in a product has to change. But until my client says do the overhaul i was looking for a quick fix that won't cost as much to do.

Hope that explains why i wanted to grab the values from one custom value list and put them into another. Has nothing to do with filtering, etc.

Peace,

Dan

This topic is 5793 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.