File Disappeared While Working On It

This topic is 5425 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This was a doozy. I am converting our files from FM 5.5 to 8.5 using FileMaker Advanced 8.5v1 (currently downloading the updater). I am using an iMac running 10.5.2 with a 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.

I had just finished tweeking the last script in one particular file (I'll call it Fred.fp7). Next step is to go to the folder and change the color label on the file so I can quickly see which files I've modified and which ones I have yet to do.

I have the folder sorted by date modified so the ones I'm working on will be at the top of the list. Fred.fp7 was missing from the list.

I went into Fred.fp7 (which was still open) and added a global field to a layout so I could see where the file was (could it have moved somehow?) According to Get(FilePath), Fred.fp7 was where he was supposed to be.

I did a find and could find Fred.fp5 and Fred.fp3, but no Fred.fp7. I searched for files of kind FileMaker and didn't find the proper Fred. I did a search for hidden/invisible filemaker files and still no sign of Fred.

I quit FMA 8.5 and then restarted it. Now Fred.fp7 is totally missing. When I open a file that is related to Fred.fp7, it can't find Fred.fp7. My next step (after posting this) is to restart my Mac and see if he "magically" appears.

Fortunately, Fred was not one of the more complicated files in this batch and I can redo the modifications I did. But I am worried about this happening again. And what about giving this solution to a client, what do I do when this happens to them (and don't give me the backup lecture, I will be restoring from a backup).

That sounds like a nightmare. Sorry you're living it. I guess a couple of things might have saved you. One was to have saved the file with a new name before you closed it. I'm guessing that you had a bug work its way into your OS or FM app. Why not do a find for any file on your computer that has today has its creation date? It might not have the right extension so it won't be recognized as a FM file. I'd also use the Terminal to view the suspect folder with the command 'ls -hal' to see if its really there or not.

I did try to save it under another name, even in a different location and that didn't work (it didn't show up in the folders). Did searches for any files created/modified with the "proper" time stamp, nothing there either.

I was hoping that someone could post some instructions on using terminal, I'm not very well versed in using UNIX or terminal.

• 11 months later...

This topic is 5425 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.