Masking characters

This topic is 5764 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a custom login screen as part of my IWP solution. I want the "password" field to fill with "*" as the web user types into it. The closest I've come is with a second calculation field called "password_display" that converts the text to asterisks, but that only happens when the user commits the record. Is it possible to get a realtime conversion of the characters as they type? Or is there a font that I can use that is made up of only one symbol that would repeat for every character. If so, would having this font on my server suffice, or would every web user also need the font? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Just brainstorming, but could you set your font size to one point? That renders typically as just dots on the screen. It's a hack even if it does work but you could try.

Another option comes to mind, maybe you could default login as a guest account, which has no access rights except your login screen, and then have a button on your login screen to call the re-login script step. That would cause a username and password dialog to pop up, but at least gives you the secure password input.

I must be missing something something here - maybe because I know very little about IWP. Are you talking about a custom home page, or is this a simulated "login" from within a Filemaker solution? IOW, are users typing into an HTML form field, or into a Filemaker field?

Yes, it is a simulated login. I have all web users auto-logged in using the guest account. Basically all they are really doing when "logging in" is filling global fields that will be used to search for their contact record. If the info they provide does not match any records (via a count(related_record) ) the script spits out the appropriate message in the "error_text" field.

Well, in any case, that link is a good read. I recommend anyone putting together an IWP solution double check their security against that post.

Edited by Guest

This topic is 5764 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.