Windows XP Service Pack III - SSO issues

This topic is 5642 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have discovered a new "feature" that has arrisen as a result of a recent update with Windows XP Service Pack 3.

When using external authentication between a Windows XP Pro Client and FMS9A running on Windows Server 2003, traditionally when the client entered the servers details (I.e. open remote hosts, then clicked on the server name) immediately the client would be presented with a list of databases available to that client based on the clients credentials -- without having to authenticate. of Course, opening any of the databases would result as expected, the client is silently authenticated, resulting in a seemless operation.

However (And i have confirmed this with multiple clean installs) After installing service pack three, SSO partially breaks.

The initial authentication token request when clicking on the service hostname seems broken in that the user is presented with a username/password dialog to enter their credentials. upon doing this, the list of available databases is presented to the user... if the user selects any of those databases, no further authentication is required.

I've passed this on to FileMaker Australia for their comments.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[color:blue]I just posted an account of what I think is the same problem at a company I'm consulting with:

http://fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?fid/175/tid/196593/pid/296479/post/last/#LAST

We found that by switching the server setting to allow people to see ALL files on the server (instead of just the ones they have access to), the extra logon box goes away. HOWEVER, some companies (including this one) won't want users to see all files on the server, even if password protection keeps them out.

I called FileMaker and their answer was that FileMaker only goes up to Service Pack 2, that it isn't certified for Service Pack 3. So until someone finds a patch or better setting, you have a decision to make! Rollback, server change, or something else?

:

• 3 months later...
  • Newbies

Hi; There is a solution to this issue it can be found on the Knowledge Base section of the FileMaker support page http://www.filemaker.com/support/index.html

It is Knowledge base article: 6938 (Just do a search in Knowledge Base for 6938)

Thanks

Correct. There is no solution to this. FMI is aware of this issue, but this was casued by the installation of SP 3.

This does serve to point out the importance of testing new OS patches and SP's for their impact on FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Server before deploying them widely. Such patches and updates from both Apple and Microsoft usually wind up breaking something.

Steven

This topic is 5642 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.