Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Files and File References etc.

This topic is 5798 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I "lost" a layout yesterday, while working on it, by simply changing a the layout view. Fortunately, I had a "back-up," but not on this computer. This opened the question of how FM 8/8.5 handles files.

I thought I was being wise when I saved databases in different directories after working on them. This was probably the wrong thing to do. On opening my database, I started using "recent" to avoid the error message: XXX.fp7 could not be opened (Not Found). When I looked in the "file reference" section, I found 6 files I hadn't opened in over a year!! And, when I tried "define database," I got the error message above again.

So, I tried to read everything i could about how FM handles files, but there is either nothing germane or it is so obscure I couldn't understand it.

Does anyone know of a basic description of just "how" FM 8/8.5 uses files and how to avoid my loses in the future.

Where did that layout go??

Remember, I am still a beginner even though I've been at it a while.

Thanks,

Jack e bear

Well, there's:

Editing external FileMaker data sources

and

Creating file paths

Generally I'd recommend keeping all your related files in a single folder, and each file reference would be a simple:

file:example.fp7

If you've got a bunch of backups with the same name, I'd zip them so you have only a single working set of files at a time, and/or avoid using the Open Recent menu.

Thanks, Tom.

I believe I did something like this: (I started with a converted *.dbf) I probably opened the resulting *.fp7 file and saved it in a different directory and folder. Then ever since I have been using the "saved" version. I am presuming (since i do not yet know) that everything was still pointing to the first file, thus explaining the error messages.

I shall do what you suggest. Zip zip zip.

Also, I'll read the references you suggested, although I am a bear of small brain. Made it through medical school, but you know those docs!!

Best,

Jck e bear

This topic is 5798 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.