Novice having issues with converted Filemaker 6 files on Server 9

This topic is 5814 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hey Everyone,

This is likely a dumb newbie question, and the answer is likely to rtfm, but I'm hoping someone might be able to help out as I'm concurrently trying to learn FM 9, develop a new FM 9 database for our business, and migrate our data from FM 6.

So we've been slowly creating a new database for our business using Filemaker 9 via Server 9.

Currently we are still running Filemaker 6 clients connecting to a Filemaker Server 5.5 running OS 9 (Don't laugh...it actually works well!).

I'm slowly trying to migrate data and sections of the database. I've converted some of the different databases we use and can see them using Filemaker 9, but when I try to upload them into Filemaker Server 9, Server 9 doesn't see the files and won't let me add them. Any ideas? Is there more I need to do? (obviously!). I wanted to have one or two databases we use opened in FM 9 server alongside the new version to help with the migration process.

Thanks in advance!

-Phil

I've converted some of the different databases we use and can see them using Filemaker 9, but when I try to upload them into Filemaker Server 9, Server 9 doesn't see the files and won't let me add them.

What do you mean by this? Do you mean using the new "upload database" assistant feature of FMS 9 or something else?

Yes, using the "upload database" assistant in FMS 9.

Potentially dumber question: Isn't that the only way to add a database to be shared?

Thanks,

Phil

What do you mean by this? Do you mean using the new "upload database" assistant feature of FMS 9 or something else?

No you can put a copy of your file in the default filemaker data path or in an additional one that you specified when configuring server.

To upload the files to server using the assitant, the files will have to be closed, writable, and unlocked.

Thanks for the help Mr_Vodka!

Turns out it was another kind of newbie issue. Apparently Filemaker 9's automatic conversion of my FM 6 databases didn't add a .fp7 to the end of the files, and consequently fMS 9 didn't see them!

Problem solved!

-Phil

No you can put a copy of your file in the default filemaker data path or in an additional one that you specified when configuring server.

To upload the files to server using the assitant, the files will have to be closed, writable, and unlocked.

This topic is 5814 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.