Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Applescript to change filenames

This topic is 5797 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Computer:) Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Problem: I have a simple fp7 database (version 8 Advanced) that contains a list of the names of about 400 PDF files along with new names for those files. The DB record contains two fields—"OldFileName" and "NewFileName". All the PDF files are in a single folder. I need a way to automate the change of the old name of each file to the new name.

I imagine that someone else has already done this with AppleScript (which I am not that good at) and I am hoping that someone can steer me to a ready-made solution.

Thanks in advance

Jake

Here is an example file. It is basically renaming the file in the current FileMaker record. There is a routine to either choose a folder, or it will test whatever folder you have entered in the global field. To do all files, it is just a Loop.

There are slight differences however. The renaming AppleScript in the Loop will not test the file names or their existence, as it doesn't want to stop to show you errors. The script to rename a single file will test.

[P.S. The "file name" expects the extension, ".pdf" or whatever in the field. It is generic renaming.]

Rename_Old_to_New.zip

Edited by Guest

This topic is 5797 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.