Server Maintenance This Week. ×

8.5 to 9 upgrade - now containers don't work right

This topic is 5786 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Well,

Just made the jump from 8.5 to 9.

Added new record that includes containers fields for media.

The containers on one layout accept the media but it does not show up on other layouts.

I went to the database to see what was happening at that level; the container fields are "grayed out" as seen in the relationship area (see attached picture).

I don't know whether this is the source of my problem but it is a brand new FileMaker experience for me - since the upgrade.

Any insight into what the heck is going on will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Picture_1.png

You should have been able to open the 8.5 file in 9 without a problem, except 9 might give you a warning that the file needs to be recovered. It is a lousy way to tell that you need to open it in 8.5 and save it as a Copy, compacted.

Not sure what your problem is, because if it opens in 9 other than I just described, then it should not have changed anything.

Lee

The Referenced items for the container files. It soundrd like the version 9 file can't see them. Can you post a screen shot of a page that isn't working?

Lee

Edited by Guest

Lee,

I found the problem.

At one point in development, I encountered difficulty exporting containers. As a possible solution, I built a table specifically" for media only" specifically for the purpose of isolating my problem. I figured out the source of the original problem. The layout that was giving me grief was still connected to that "media only" table that did not get changed back after this fix.

I guess "fmforums" need to add a new major heading just for me:

"Rookie Mistakes"

Your astuteness pointed me in the direction leading to the discovery of my error.

Thank you very much for your patience and help.

I guess "fmforums" need to add a new major heading just for me:

"Rookie Mistakes"

No way. We would all have to post our questions in the one topic area then.

:giggle:

Glad you figured it out.

You will find that a lot of times, it is a matter of not seeing the forest through the trees, but when you organizing your thoughts in the form of a question, sometimes you will answer your own question, without even posting.

Lee

Edited by Guest

This topic is 5786 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.