Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Cannot Enable FM Network Sharing

This topic is 5551 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Here is the problem I am having. I recently upgraded from FM Pro 8 to FM Pro Advanced 9. The software installed fine and everything appears to work fine except the sharing of the database so other users can access the software here at our office. The exact error message I am getting is "FileMaker cannot share files because another user is already sharing files using FileMaker Pro on this computer."

However, I have no other versions of FileMaker running on this computer. I know from searching the internet that this can be caused by trying to run FM Pro and FM Pro Server on the same machine but I do not even own FM Pro Server.

I have tried everything to get around this problem. I tried disabling the Windows firewall. That didn't help. I was able to reinstall FM Pro 8 and turn on the file sharing and that worked just fine. I have been running FM Pro 8 for a few years now and never had a problem with the file sharing. It always worked just fine.

Any suggestions to try and fix this? I have to be up and running on Monday morning and I am about to go back to FM Pro 8 just so we can work tomorrow.

• 1 month later...
  • Newbies

I have exactly the same problem, Filemaker tech support tried various things with me and they all failed. I've been searching lists and forums for a solution and no one seems to have one and yet this seems to be happening to quite a lot of users. The computers I have this problem on are running Vista Ultimate. The fact that you posted this in June and we are now in August and you have had no replies really worries me.

• 1 month later...

I am also having the same problem sharing using Vista Business. FileMaker seem to be ignoring the problem. There seems to be no problem sharing from VISTA to a Mac but not another VISTA machine.

I am awaiting a support call from FileMaker about this. The only viable solution appears to be to downgrade to XP. :P

• 4 months later...

This topic is 5551 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.