Difficulty making backup

This topic is 5790 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Using Filemaker Server 9, I'm currently running backups to a USB Lacie HD. However, I'd like to run an additional backup to another volume on the network.

Is it possible to send a backup to a volume on the network (e.g. another XServe or Computer)?

If so, how? I'm pretty sure that I'm entering the correct desired Backup Path in the Admin Console... but I cannot get it to validate the path for the life of me. Any ideas?

I'm trying to get it to go to my network volume titled "Network"

I could never get this to work reliably either, so I gave up trying to make FMS backup to networked volumes. Instead I use FMS to only backup to the local hard drive but use Unix scripts to backup to a network volume. It is a bit more work to setup, but has worked great for me. I'd be glad to provide details if you want to give it a try.

The instructions I posted are just meant to be an example. It assumes that you are already using FMS to create hourly local backups. The bash script creates a new folder and a copy of your data on a remote volume. The unix crontab is then set to run the script on a daily basis but it can be edited to alter the frequency up to once per minute (which would be overkill). No, it is not supported by Filemaker, but taking advantage of the Unix underpinnings of Mac OS X can hardly be called 'unsupported'.

The nice white paper that by Decorete also uses a bash script to make backups from OS X to a remote volume. However, it uses FMS to set the schedule instead of creating unix cron jobs. The nice GUI of the FMS Admin application might make setting the schedule of the bash script more self explanatory.

I prefer to backup frequently to both local and remote volumes.

Edited by Guest

This topic is 5790 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.