Server Maintenance This Week. ×

HELP - Lost connection between UI and data

This topic is 5764 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Ok, so I finally get all my bugs out, been testing all week and go to set up as users will use it in a shared environment. The client does not have a server, it's a 2 person office.

I save my files, I thought, and then copy the UI over to another computer in my office. I've been using that computer as the host. The host has the data files.

Before saving the files, I changed my "external data source' in the UI to look at the data file on the host. (I opened and closed it several times after that to make sure it was looking in the right place and all was well. I then save and backup the file and copy the UI over to the host.

I open the UI on the host and all the data is missing. All fields show 'Missing File." I try it on my computer and the same thing. I go back into 'external file sources and delete and reset the connection. Nothing. I go into my TOG and all the tables show "Data File Missing" I'm talking perhaps 15 layouts with related tables. Probable close to 100 relationships. None of my backups from today will work. Yesterdays backup works fine, but, I spent 8 hours today making final changes times two because I have my Admin doing the data entry and testing.

What did I do wrong and what do I need to do to fix it. Please help ASAP, I told the client I'm delivering the app tomorrow.

Al

You should have redefined your external data source. If you deleted it, you're in trouble. You'll have to go in and manually reconnect every single TO. Any calculations that rely on related data will be broken as well.

But you said "I then save and backup the file and copy the UI over to the host." So you have a copy where the original EDS still exists, no?

Not yesterday's I copied over it with the changed database on both machines. So, I had to revert to Tuesday's copy. Looks like I won't deliver today. So, two lessons learned, don't delete the data source and backup should include date and time so you always have the second most current file to fall back on.

You are right about the broken links. All the scripts in that copy are worthless as well since all the links and calcs are gone.

Nothing like blowing your own brains out. :

I think people underestimate the necessity for backups. For a served solution, that I one of the main reasons I always push for using FMserver (of course there are many other reasons as well). If you are developing stand alone, then you should make it a daily practice to have daily backup folder throughout the entire development process. HD space is cheap.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

As I develop I continually make back ups. I put a back up button on every layout and as I finish the layout or make changes I click the button. What I didn't do is add a time feature to my path. So, every time I backed up I was overwriting the last back up of the day. That's where I went wrong. I changed (deleted and re-entered) the external source then clicked back up. Now I conveniently overwrote my good back up. I have now changed my path to include hours/minutes/seconds. This way every time I save a copy it is a new one. I can always go back and delete last weeks multiples and keep the last one of the day.

On my server apps I have two backups a day to two different HD's. One is a quick pull drive, so if I need to get out quickly, this is hurricane season where I am, I just pull it and go. The other is on one of my hot swap drives.

There another of my favorite sayings "We plan, God laughs."

Thanks for your concern, John.

Al

This topic is 5764 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.