rank-ordered list of associated elements

This topic is 5768 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

This is my first post; please let me know if it's not in the right place. My question is probably standard, and no doubt has been answered before, but I'm not sure how to look for answers, because I don't what the key terms are to describe the issue.

I have a database that is meant to map a debate, and this database contains a many-to-many relationship between People and Propositions (meaning assertions, arguments, claims). So I have a Persons table, with info on Al, Bob, Chris, etc.; a Propositions table with info on Prop1, Prop2, Prop3, etc., and a join table, with one record for each time a particular person asserts a particular proposition. I know how to create calculation fields that will create lists of all of the propositions a particular person asserts, and all of the people asserting a particular proposition. But what I would really like to have is a bit different. For each proposition (call it Pi), I would like to know what other propositions people asserting Pi asserted. And I would like this list to be rank ordered by the number of assertions, so that I could see that people asserting P1 are most likely to assert P3, and never assert P4 (for example).

I hope this is clear - thanks in advance for any help.

• Newbies

I think my original post was misplaced. I found most of what I need in this custom function, which counts the occurrences in list 1 of the values in list 2:

http://www.briandunning.com/cf/890

Now all I need is to modify the function so that the list is ordered my rank (most occurrences).

This topic is 5768 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.