Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FMP 9 crashes on win XP

This topic is 5612 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi

I have just deployed a solution at a client, but we have problems that FMP crashes a lot.

Specs:

FMS 9 running on brand new xServe 10.5

Mac OSX 10.5 clients with fmp 9 running with no problems at all

Win xp office pc's (IBM) completely updated and also with quicktime and DotNet.

The win users stores their profile on a server.

There seems to be no regularity in when fmp crashes. Sometimes when switching layout, sometimes when entering a field and sometimes just without touching anything.

Only other app running is outlook.

Can anyone point me in a direction ?

It could be network problems: are they using ethernet or wireless?

Check all client versions they should be 9.0v3. Also check the version of FM Server; it should have the Leopard patch.

Check the OS of the server too: make sure it's patched up.

Check the server and client energy saver preferences.

Hi and thanks for your reply.

Both server os, fms, win xp os, fmp are all updated to the latest version.

Alle clients are connecting via LAN, no wireless.

Normally you would see that Filemaker tells you that the files are closed, due to network abrubts. But this is the fmp app. that crashes itself.

Okay.

Let me explain what happened to me a few years ago.

I had an old application that I converted from FM6 to FM7. It worked fine in FM6 but crashed frequently in FM7. Long story short, I traced the problem to a 1 pixel by 1 pixel line that I had created using native FM tools. Most of the time, but not always, whenever I moused over the 1px x 1px line FM would crash.

As I said, I originally created this 1px x 1px line using the regular FM line tool. I had created a triangular symbol using a series of 1 px wide lines of increasing lengths. I grouped them all together to form a nice looking filled triangle. It worked just fine in FM6 and would often crash FM7 when I simply moused over the 1px x 1px tip of the triangle.

Thinking that the problem may be something other than that I completely uninstalled FM7 from my PC, rebooted, reinstalled FM7, created a brand new FM file from scratch, added only a single 1px x 1px line to an otherwise completely blank file and the thing would crash when I moused over the tiny line.

In the end I believe that this problem was connected to FM and my particular brand of video card. I say this because the troublesome pixel worked fine on other PCs but not mine.

Check your layout for a small 1 pixel by 1 pixel line.

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone and thanks for your reply

I have found the problem, that caused the crashes...

It was some buttons, that I had copied from another solution. Theese buttons had tooltips with calculations, that related to tables, that were not part of this solution..

Everytime the user had the mouse over the button, fm crashed. But it seems that it only occured on xp.

This topic is 5612 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.