Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Combine Notes

Mr.Morning

This topic is 8181 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

BACKGROUND

I have a variety of records with notes on them.

Each new record for Bob, Cindy or Tom can be for a previous project or a new project.

I currently have them as a portal with scroll bars for when the information is to long and it works fine for viewing on screen. But I would like to print out the list of combined notes for a project on one sheet.

If you want all notes for a particular project to appear in one field for printing, you could create a global text field (call it, gProjectNotes for example). Then, create a script that finds all records for the project. Loop through the found set and for each record, Set Field (gProjectNotes, gProjectNotes& (return character)& Person & (tab character) & Note).

As you loop through, you are adding a line to the field until you have created a list of notes with the appropriate person's name by each note. You could sort the list after doing the initial find to have notes appear by person in alpha order.

There may be simpler ways to accomplish this, however. If you post your file structure and which fields you are using, we might come up with other ideas.

From the projects file, do Go to Related Record [show] to find the notes for a given project in the notes file. Print from the notes file. If you have a relationship from the notes file to the project file, you can include project information.

It should work, yes. But the suggestion to do the printing from the related field is the better way to do it.

The scripted solution will only be accurate if the script is run each time, and that could be a long process in itself, epecially if used multi-user.

This topic is 8181 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.