Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Making a public domain/freeware Runtime

BobWeaver

This topic is 5701 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm curious if anyone here has ever created a freeware runtime. If so, what did you do about the requirements to provide customer support? Obviously, when putting a runtime into the public domain, one shouldn't necessarily be expected to provide telephone support to anyone who wants to use the program the same way one would if it was a commercial application, but you are required by the Filemaker license agreement to do exactly that.

Edited by Guest

Chapter 1, Page 7 of the FMPA9_Development.pdf words things a little differently.

You only need to supply contact information if you have applied passwords or removed admin rights from the file(s).

The contact information required does not specifically need to be a phone number. E-mail should be sufficient.

Bottom of page 6 in the FMPA9_Developement.pdf manual.

- You must provide an “About” layout that includes your name, address, and the telephone number for your technical support.For more information about creating an About layout, see the next section.

OK, I'm gonna play a lawyer for a bit:

The FMPA9_Development.pdf document is a 'Development Guide' - it has no legal status. The only legally binding document is the FMPA License.

Above the passage you quote it says:

However, there are several terms and conditions in the license agreement you must abide by, including the following:

I don't think FMI can ADD terms and conditions here that are NOT included in the license agreement. And the license agreement says only this:

8. Technical Support. You are solely responsible for providing all technical support to your sublicensees of the Runtime Solution, and you will not direct any sublicensee to contact FMI for technical support regarding your Runtime Solution. You further agree to include your name and contact information in an "about" screen as part of your Runtime Solution.

I think the purpose here is quite clear: make sure your customers don't bother us. Especially when you read it in context with the following section 9. So I don't think FMI can claim a violation if you state clearly that the solution is provided "as is" with no support, and make that your "contact information".

This topic is 5701 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.