Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Creating Runtimes that talk to other data sources - can it be done?

This topic is 5702 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I am a complete newbie here (been a member for about 3 minutes) but have spent some time lurking as a non-member reading all your posts, and you all seem very knowledgeable, so I am hopeful of some help. (I apologise for the lengthy email, but I wanted to include as much detail as poss.)

Although it seems that this problem has been alluded to before (http://fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/196394/ ), I cannot find a solution (Forgive me if I have missed it - please direct me to the page if so).

I am developing a FM solution that I originally wanted to distribute as a runtime. The reasons for runtime were:

1) Ease of use

2) I am charging a subscription fee so it helps if it doesn’t look like a FM solution (although I am aware that the splash screen might give the game away!)

3) Ability to install on any machine with minimal cost (just a new plug in license from Dacons for Mailit)

The problems I have are these:

1) I am struggling to create a runtime that can connect to external databases (tables that will be hosted online). I need this functionality as I would like to allow groups of Runtime users access to common tables (Diaries for multiple users from one company, for example)

2) I have realised that my 'ScheduleEvents plug in '(I am using Scriptfire and although I have found others available, they all seem to have the similar limitation) does not function if the application is closed when the event is due to be scheduled.

I think, therefore, I need the answers to the following:

1) Can a runtime be installed on a client machine, but use tables from a host?

2) If so, how? (I keep getting the error that the eternally hosted table (referenced as HAC.usr in my test runtime) is not found in the runtime directory)

3) If this IS possible, can more than one Runtime user access these tables?

4) If all of the above is possible, is there a server side plug in that would schedule the events and (in this case) run the script that sends out the emails (in response to, for example a new record being made), even if the runtime application is closed on the client machine?

To give you an idea of my thoughts so far, I have considered:

1) Packaging up and including a copy of FM with the solution, and avoiding the runtime altogether. (NOT ideal, as each installation will have to include the cost of FM, plus plug ins - even if its FM8, it still is expensive, AND to get over problem number 4, this would have to be on and have FM open 24 hrs))

2) Trying to convert the database to MySQL, hosting online, and trying to get the runtime to access this.

3) Sacking off the last 8 months of work of learning FM and starting from scratch with MySQL

I would really, really appreciate any proffered help, advice or hoots of derision, (as long as they are of a constructive nature), as I really like FM and learn something new and funky about it every single day.

Thanks so much in advance.

Al

UPDATE TO MY LAST POST!!!!

Bugger. Just done some more digging and found the thread where Mr Filemaker (Steven H. Blackwell) states in no uncertain terms that most of what I am asking cannot be done.

So unless the post (http://www.fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/182276/post/231239/hl/using+plug+in/fromsearch/1/ ) is wrong, looks like the only quesiton i am asking is this:

Can a server side plug in run Dacons Scriptfire 24 hrs and trigger scripts that send out emails the instant a new record is created (like FMForums does when you first register)? Or do i need to look outside of FM?

Cheers.

Al

3) Sacking off the last 8 months of work of learning FM and starting from scratch with MySQL

... Do that - if this is something you want to distribute and make a profit off do that. FM should give you a good starting point in the world of SQL.

Vaughan,

Thanks for your speedy response. IWP doesn;t do nearly as much as I would like it to (most of the scripts I have written don't seem to work properly), and although it might work if it were just my staff accessing it, I dontl feel I cans ell it as a solution. I donlt know anything about CWP tho - might this be aroute to pursue?

Thansk again,

Al

Genx,

Sorry - I meant that emails would be sent off under certian circumstances, for example when a web user enters details into a website, a PHP script would fire into the database, create a new record, populate it with the newly collected data, the send off an email to the new user welcoming them.

However, I am encouraged by your comments about not starting from scratch with MySQL. Is this bulletinn board run on MySQL? Have you had any expericne of using FM Migrator?

Thansk again,

Al

First Question:

The PHP script could also very easily send out an email.

Second Question:

Yes the board is run on top MySQL - its actually a modified prebuilt open source solution - similar to phpBB (look down the bottom left of the site - very bottom left -> FusionBB)

Third Question:

No I haven't had much experience with FMMigrator but I wouldn't go down that path - much better to just build the tables up from scratch as SQL will sometimes warrant a slightly different relational view.

Vaughan,

Thanks for your speedy response. IWP doesn;t do nearly as much as I would like it to (most of the scripts I have written don't seem to work properly), and although it might work if it were just my staff accessing it, I dontl feel I cans ell it as a solution. I donlt know anything about CWP tho - might this be aroute to pursue?

You've missed my point entirely: don't use FileMaker Pro for this project. Do the development in PHP/MySQL or some other web technology.

There are times when FMP is a good choice as development environment. I don't think it would be for this job.

This topic is 5702 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.