How to set up SC in a portal

This topic is 5705 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I consider myself a novice at Filemaker, but am able to build what I need as I go. I am able to get a simple SuperContainer to work. I also have the plug-in installed. In the SuperContainer docs there is a very short instruction to setting up a portal. It isn't that clear to me so thought I would ask help here. I've tried various scenarios and can't seem to get things working. We are a graphics company. I had all this working with regular containers until I discovered why I need SuperContainer.

What I want to do:

Place three portals on one page in my document that will display SuperContainers because one job may have many related images and files. I want to display images and files. My main database is called "ShopCentral". The related tables are named:

1. Design Proofs

2. Customer Files

3. Production Files.

Documentation states:

Web Views cannot be embedded in portal rows. If you want to display SuperContainer files in a portal, create an unstored calculation in the portal table whose type is "container". Set the calculation to LeftValues ( SCGetInfo("path/to/my/record" ) ; 1 ). This calculation will use the plugin to display the name of the resource in the portal.

Where I am confused is with:

1. "create an unstored calculation in the portal table". In table "Design Proofs" are two fields "Invoice ID" and "Design Proof Container". "Invoice ID" is my related field. Is "Design Proof Container" the unstored calculation part as referenced in the documentation?

2. In this calculation "LeftValues ( SCGetInfo("path/to/my/record" ) ; 1 )" what is the "path/to/my/record" refering to? The whole or the part? Here is the paths listed in SuperContainer server:

10/5/08 4:56:28 AM - SuperContainer URL: http://192.168.0.101:8020/SuperContainer

10/5/08 4:56:28 AM - Files Directory: /Users/Shared/SuperContainer/Files

3. What to place where? In the "Design Proofs" table should the "Design Proof Container" be a container or a web viewer? In the main database "ShopCentral" in which I am placing the portal, should the portal have a regular container or a web viewer? I can't determine what links where.

Appreciate your help. SuperContainer is Super!

Alrighty then. I'm starting to get it myself, but only because I found that in the "SuperContainer Example" database there is a bit on portals. I'm experimenting now, it isn't clear, but it's much less foggy than before. I'll let you know what I discover.

cos,

You will find that the container fields using the plugin will be quicker in rendering - in my case when in "list view" having a thumbnail down the list was faster then having a wv on each row.

Also for printing your images from FM you may want to use the plugin vs the wv as in some cases prints better.

And for portals it works great.

This topic is 5705 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.