Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Migrating from Server 8 to Server 9 Advanced

This topic is 5670 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

[caveat: I work with a client that's MIS department is a little prickly (understatement). So, my hope is to find the easiest solution to this problem.]

I developed a solution on Filemaker 8.5 Advanced that is served on a Windows 2000 server using Filemaker Server 8 across an intranet to about 8 clients.

I've convinced the funders and decision makers to upgrade to Filemaker Server 9 Advanced (I plan to take advantage of the ODBC capabilities of Advanced).

I recommended to the MIS department that they install Server 9 Advanced somewhere on the server and then copy the database solution to that new location, map one of the clients to that new location and let me beta test it to make sure no bugs come along with the transition.

While installing the Server 9 Advanced the install script says that 9 cannot be installed while 8 is running.

I know the directions with 9 say 8 should be uninstalled entirely before 9 is installed, but is there some way around uninstalling 8 so we can do an adequate contextually appropriate beta test on 9 before we toss out 8?

Thanks!

- Michael

"... is there some way around uninstalling 8 so we can do an adequate contextually appropriate beta test on 9..."

No.*

FMS 8 and FMS 9 use the same ports, so it isn't going to work because of that alone.

*It might be possible using a virtualised server setup, but I'm not up on that technology.

What if it were loaded on a different drive on the server? Do drives all use the same port on the server on which they reside? As you can tell, this is a bit outside my realm of understanding, so any knowledge you'd like to impart would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Server 9 can be installed [color:red]only on the OS boot drive. Follow the instructions and remove Server 8, install Server 9. Configure Server 9 using the Console, and host the files.

BTW, in case either you or the IT people do not know this, Server 9's administration is completely diffrent than Server 8's was.

Steven

Having a different drive wont really help with the situation. You will either need to put it on a virtual server setup or a different box as others have pointed out.

Is there a tutorial anywhere for the new Server 9 Administration Console?

Interesting you should ask that. Try the VTC Server 9 Tutorial for information. The guy on the video talks sort of funny , but he does go thru the Console on both platforms top to bottom.

Steven

hahaha! That's great. Thanks for the link. I used John Mark Osborne's tutorials on VTC when I was learning FM8 Advanced. Very helpful stuff, as I'm sure yours will be. I'll check out the free ones and decide if I need to reinvest in my membership.

Thanks again for the link.

This topic is 5670 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.