Help - Just getting started

This topic is 8529 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I just downloaded the Trial version because our company would like to make sure it can do what it wants before it is purchased. I went through the tutorial but I'm confused I guess because the tutorial did not relate to our business. What we need is really something basic and from what I can tell Filemaker pro will do this. I'm hoping someone can help me start from scratch if I tell you what our needs are. I've heard so many good things about this program but unfortunately the company will not invest unless it knows it can do the job.

• Newbies

We are a general contractor & I hope I about to use the correct words. We need a couple different databases to fall into a Work Order & Purchase Order. Some type of a database with all 10 Suppliers & another database with all materials we purchase from those 10 suppliers. Whatever supplier & materials are selected (I'm assuming some kind of drop down box) needs to be put in a work order without prices (for foreman)& then a Purchase Order with prices to be faxed to supplier. If possible would like the suppliers to be numbered 1,2,3 instead of by their names & same with supplies. I hope I said this correct. Thank you so much for your help.

You can rest assured that work orders and purchase orders can be handled in FileMaker. I've written the odd half dozen or so such systems in FM. As to whether you as a novice will be able to write such as system in short order... it's the old buying PhotoShop doesn't make you a graphics artist problem wink.gif.

-bd

• Newbies

Thank You for replying. Yes I am the one who will be creating this but I cannot get my company to order this unless I can show them. Would it be possible for you to walk thru it with me. The trial verson does not have instructions with it. I'm think I need to start create a new empty file,name it (suppliers), define fields with what I want to actually show on PO like name (text type), address etc then start tying in all suppliers (browse mode) using the add new record each time. Then I would assume do the same thing for a list of materials?

You might start by investing in a book, like the FileMaker Bible type of books.

It's not rocket science although at times it feels like it is. First, start with a basic understanding of realtional databses. It sounds liek you have a pretty good idea since you understand you'll have several files that act as one.

What your describing sounds liek a common solution. I'll beet you might even be abel to find one available through sharware or freeware for download, try http://www.fmfiles.com/ for starters.

------------------

Bruce J

Kansas City

[email protected]

• Newbies

I live in a small town (2 bookstores) neither one have it. Even called the library and places like Officemax. Cant get my hands on any Filemaker pro book. The trial version does not come with instructions (and expires in 20 days) that is why I came to the forum. I tried the website you mentioned and it says page cannot be displayed. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. In my prior email I stated how I thought I should be starting out. Is that correct? Thanks for your help.

I'm sure amazon.com has a broad selection of FM books and will deliver to your address.

Asking for a description of how to create a work order and purchase order system is kind of like asking how to write a basic accounting system or how to do a simple gall bladder removal. It's way beyond the sort of help we can reasonably give in this format. While neither one of these designs should be particularly difficult in FM, both are beyond the capabilities of a novice on day one.

What you might do is look on www.filemaker.com for complete business solutions, find a complex one, download the demo and demonstrate the capabilities of FM using this demo.

-bd

This topic is 8529 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.