Failing to quit properly

This topic is 5654 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello

A while ago I developed a filemaker database for a small not for profit organisation. For the last couple of years they've been using it no problem, but recently it's started 'hanging'. Well sort of!

They can be working away on it and it's all fine, they can quit without any problems and it saves the info fine. But then without warning and any sign of problem, the Quit Filemaker option disappears from the menu and it seems to not save information they've just entered.

They haven't been able to spot any patterns in what causes the problem.

Filemaker support themselves haven't come across this problem before and can't help.

They've tried reinstalling the software and installing updates but that hasn't helped.

They run FMPro on two computers and it happens on both machines.

I've not come across this before either. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Nicole

Hi Nicole, and welcome to the Forum

The files is corrupt, and from your description, has been corrupt for some time.

There are several treads about this subject, and some have links to articles about recognation, and prevention, and good practices to prevent data loss.

In a nut shell, once a file has given you the not close properly notification, or has required a Recovery, the file should be considered only a souce of your data, and the file should be replace with a prestine copy of your file, and the data imported as text. i.e. export as text from the failing file, and then imported.

Lee

Edited by Guest

This topic is 5654 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.