Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Tips for going from 2.x to 9.0v3 DB

RobH

This topic is 5631 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'm about to rewrite a time-entry/invoicing DB that I originally wrote in FMP 2.x The original consisted of 3 separate (flat-file) DBs: Client List, Time Entry (using repeating fields for the line items), & Invoices. The three were tied together by some scripting, etc.

I'd like to move this system into a single file consisting of at least 3 related tables. I'd rather not have to create additional tables for line items, but instead would like to bring over the 3 separate DBs into the 3 new tables. I'm thinking this might be a quicker way to get up & running. This db will only be used by one individual.

Is there a quick way to import the individual DBs into the new tables (Fields & Records), or will I need to re-enter the info manually?

Thanks for any help & the great resource!

This Topic has come up in the past, but not recently. Take a look at this article at FMI Link

You can also search this Topic Area, but I would look back when FileMaker first released v7.

HTH

Lee

You won't be able to IMPORT the existing data directly to an FM9 solution due to file incompatibilities. Not to mention the fact that there may also be operating system limitations too - either your FM2 is Win95/98 or Mac OS7/8/9 - none of which support FM9.

To get the file converted you will need FM4 to convert the files to .fp3. Then you will need FM5/6 to convert those to .fp5 format. And finally use FM9 to convert those to .fp7 format. However none of this will integrate your 3 files into separate tables.

If you are going to re-write then consider exporting the existing files to a .csv or .tab format, which are still supported in FM9. When you have re-created your solution then import the data. You'll need to be careful with aligning your fields on the import.

This topic is 5631 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.