Individually set record access

polarpro

This topic is 5639 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hey,

I’m about to set up a file where the creator of a record can decide individually which other users / user groups will be able to read his record.

I thought for this I could set up a user table that holds information which users can access which records.

The other way round would be to write into the record which users can open it. I thought I’d create a field that contains all the IDs of the users that are allowed to read it. I prefer this approach. A script or even better a filtered portal could restrict the access.

May I ask if anybody has some experience with this kind of record access management? Is this a practicable way of approaching my intention? Any pitfalls...?

Will be happy to receive your hints and considerations.

:P Mike

I like the idea (especially since you're using UserIDs and not names). You could have a "Allow Access" portal on a record that let's the user add UserIDs for those allowed access. Depending on how many users there are, this could be a simple popup menu on each row, or a popup window with a select list. Then, the parent record could have a calc field UsersViewList = List(relationship::UserID) to collect the valid IDs. Using record access privs, allow view if FilterValues (UsersViewList, gUserID).

This topic is 5639 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.