Weird data corruption problem

This topic is 5645 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am getting weird data corruption. I have a large system that runs a school (interface file with data separation). It is on a dedicated Mac OS X Server (10.5.4) running server 9.0.3. I have a mixed bag of clients running 8.5 and 9.0v3.

The reason I believe the problem is corruption and not a scripting error is that these processes have been executed too many times to count - flawlessly.

1) issue #1: Have a process of using a plugin to create teacher comment databases for grade reporting. Those databases are then transferred back into the main system. There are about 100 databases and starting last term, I had a incident where the client transferred a database and she somehow touched grade records from two years ago, modifying over 2500 records and wiping out year end grades. I have a lot of error trapping to exit if the user cancels or if the ID does not match, etc. There is NO WAY that this is a scripting error. I fixed the problem but it just reoccurred again this term. I have been racking my head on this script until issue #2 appeared.

2) issue #2: I have a script that emails the student their grades and comments for the current term. A teacher emailed her students their grades and two of the students got their grades from the previous year. I replicated the email and it sent the correct grades. We have been emailing grades for years now and have never had a problem with the wrong grades getting sent so I know the calculations and scripting are fine.

There is no visible damage to the data file or to the interface file where the scripts are executed. I have optimized both files and I am not sure what steps to take next. Since this has been happening for a while, it would be hard to produce a clean copy from a backup. It is also a file that needs the most current data since it involves grades, etc.

3) Issue #3: print crashing - happens alot! Does this affect #1 and #2??

I was thinking about deleting all the records and reimporting them back into the data file so that all the indexes get reproduced. Will this help?

Also, if there is a corruption with scripting, how do you fix that? I have so many scripts I wouldn't know where to begin.

Also, should I upgrade everyone using v8.5???

HELP! Any suggestions are appreciated!

This topic is 5645 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.