Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Limitations of Design Functions

This topic is 5625 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

There is very little documentation on the Design Functions for Calculation fields, it seems to me that there are some limitations but I am open to other explainations if someone has one.

I am trying to use FieldNames(fileName;layoutName) to grab all of the field names for each table in each file listed on my layout. What seems to be happening is that there is a limit of 4,562 characters. It imported 442 of the 562 feilds in the file I am accessing.

Any thoughts, besides using/parsing the DDR file.

I don't really know what the limit is. Is it possible that some of the fields are not on the layout? Another way to use this function is to give it the name of a table occurrence (on the Relationship Graph) instead of the layout name. That will return all of the fields of the table; FileMaker Help does not mention this use.

It's hard for me to find a file with that many fields. But I've got one here which returns 466 fields (all), with 9,500 characters. Another calculation, using a layout name, returns 911 fields (because most of the fields are repeating fields, with 2 repetitions, and each is listed), with over 21,000 characters.

But this is on a Mac, so I don't know if limits are different on Windows.

[P.S. You would likely want this calculation's Storage option to be [x] Do not store.]

• Newbies

Thank you for your reply, I have tried the table option, and that's when I don't get all of the fields. Double checked the "do not store".

I think that the limitation is on the #of fields at 442 (odd number for a limit), because I tried the calculation as FieldIDs(file;table), and it to was limited to 442 fields returned. It was obviously far fewer characters.

This topic is 5625 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.