Close databases before stopping server?

LaRetta

This topic is 5595 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've only heard bits and pieces about this since vs. 7 and, when searching, I can't find anything specifically on the subject (I apologize if I'm the only one who doesn't know this). But, if it is important to always close all databases before you 'stop serving database' in FM Server Admin Console, then why doesn't FileMaker do it automatically for us? I believe I've read it can damage your files if you don't close them first and, if true (or STILL true with FMS9) why doesn't FM protect us from the issue by including closing (and verifying they all close) before stopping server? :crazy2:

Or maybe FileMaker DOES close them (if we forget and stop the server before closing all files); if so, it would be nice to save performing that extra step (and then feeling sick or in panic if we forget).

LaRetta :wink2:

Developers or administrators should assume the responsibility for initiating a proper full sequence of events here:

1. Disconnect any users

2. Close all files

3. Stop the FileMaker Server service/daemon

There is a possibility that stopping the service and then perhaps doing something else to the server might not give files time to close properly.

So, my recommendation is to use a safe and careful process here.

Steven

To avoid any confusion here: there are 2 different things that can be stopped:

- the FMS database server

- the FMS service / daemon

The database server will disconnect any users and then close all files before stopping the server.

However since we don't know what kind of time-outs and decisions the people have FMI have included in that process we may or may not want let that process do what we should do. It's all about risk management I guess.

The FMS service / daemon is another story. Since that is controlled by the OS we now have to worry about the OS and FMS to work together nicely to give FMS sufficient time to disconnect users and close files. The OS is not always patient enough.

The good news is that this can be automated with your decisions built in. Using the FMS command line tools you can write your own routine to do this safely and stop the process / revert the process / email or text you / ... whenever something happens that you don't want.

HTH

Wim

- the FMS database server

- the FMS service / daemon

I appreciate both of your responses a great deal and I've been searching for further information after Steven's response so I have a clear image of these differences!

Hi Wim! It is very nice to see you! :smile2:

When I am in the Admin console and point at the silly little cylinder icon which is used to 'stop serving databases', then that (I assume) is the FMS database server and not FMS service / Daemon?

However since we don't know what kind of time-outs and decisions the people have FMI have included in that process we may or may not want let that process do what we should do.

Surely someone at FMI knows this answer, no? Maybe my question should be directed there? I just feel unsure whether I have damaged my files when I forget and just click 'stop serving datbases' and yes, I confess that I've done it sometimes. :crazy2:

You are right that I was confused about it; am I the only one?

LaRetta

This topic is 5595 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.