Citrix, SSO issue

This topic is 5573 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'm looking into an issue we're having with SSO for Filemaker in our Citrix farm. We are publishing the Filemaker 9 client through Citrix v4.5. The clients connect to a single Filemaker v9 server. All clients are Windows XP SP 2 and all servers 9 (both Citrix and Filemaker) are Windows 2k3 Server. None of our users have the client installed locally and all databases reside on the Filemaker server.

We're attempting to implement single sign on for all Filemaker databases but our users are always prompted for credentials after selecting "open remote". I've been able to connect successfully using single sign on with a locally installed Filemaker 9 client so I'm sure that the settings are correct on the server. I've also noted that attempting to launch Filemaker from an RDP session results in the same behavior; Filemaker prompts us to enter our credentials again. These may be separate issues but given the similarity between Terminal Services and Citrix services, I'm inclined to think it's two symptoms of the same issue.

I can confirm that none of our workstations are using SP 3. I did attempt the suggested work around for SP3 and changed the security options to show all databases. This does allow RDP and Citrix users to log on to their databases using SSO but this is not an ideal solution. We have many filemaker databases within the organization, some with very similar names. Displaying all databases results in a fair amount of confusion on the users part. While I realize it is possible for users to connect through the "Open Recent" option, I would prefer that this be as user-proof as possible to cut down on training time and "user-error" generated production support calls.

Does anyone have an explanation for how Filemaker has implemented single sign on and why it would not accept the token from a Terminal Services session while the "Only show databases user has access to" option is selected? Alternatively, has anyone been able to successfully implement single sign on through a Citrix environment?

At my place of business we do not use Citrix but we do use just straight-up Terminal Services and it works just fine with SSO. My users haven't seen a login dialog in many years.

It's tough to tell what the problem with your setup is. I'm certain that it is not anything to do with which flavor of Windows OS or which service packs have been applied.

You do realize that you need to create Windows security groups and each user must be a member of one of the groups right? These security groups can be domain groups for certain but I think they could also be server local groups if you would prefer that.

There is also a setting somewhere in the FMS setup screens that has to be chosen to allow both internal and external authentication.

Lastly, in the setup of each database you need to create an externally authenticated user accounts that must be named exactly as your new Windows security groups.

If you havent read it yet, you can read it here.

Citrix Guide

All of our users go through Citrix, so yes it can definately be done. :

First check to make sure that you have a site license for Pro. Second, you can have a shorcut on each person's Citrix desktop that would reference your file. fmp7://yourserverDNS/YourFileMakerMainFile

I can confirm that none of our workstations are using SP 3

What about the Citrix server that is publishing the FileMaker 9 client? This is actually where the SSO is happening. We ran into this problem. One machine was 2003 Server w/SP2 and one w/SP3. SP2 worked fine and SP3 behaved exactly as you describe. We downgraded that server to SP2 and all was well again.

This topic is 5573 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.