Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Updating a structure

patsky

This topic is 5595 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am an experienced developer but not particularly with FileMaker ... I've been asked to make some changes to a client's database. They are not very complex things - mostly layout-related, a couple of simple scripts - and they've sent me a file which contains the structure and the data (four tables). What I am trying to determine is: how do I update their structure with the changes I make? Do I have to actually go over there with my modified copy of the database and copy my modifications over to the live database? (they are not able to open up their network to allow me to log in remotely).

They are on version 8.5; I currently have Developer V7. I understand that I can upgrade to V9 and use THAT with their 8.5 database - right? Any problems with doing this? There doesn't appear to be an option for me to upgrade to V8.5. They are not ready to upgrade to v10 yet. We're all on Macs.

Many thanks for any advice you can offer me.

Patsky

Welcome Patsky,

When you say they can't open the network is that due to technical reasons or policies? You could always run GotToMyPC or LogMeIn to connect to a machine internal to the office then make changes on their system.

Otherwise you need to replicate the changes from your offline solution to their working version. Or attempt the daunting task of exporting data from theirs to yours, with all the caution and warnings that go along with it.

If they don't have Advanced you will need to bring your laptop with you log in to the system so you can copy & paste scripts etc. As the standard client version doesn't allow for that.

• Newbies

Thanks for your reply.

Perhaps if I point out that they would have to pay me for an addtional day just to go on-site to implement my changes they'll re-think their "no outside access" policy :

How do developers deal with this issue with commercial applications?

"If they don't have Advanced you will need to bring your laptop with you log in to the system so you can copy & paste scripts etc. As the standard client version doesn't allow for that."

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that ... What is it that the standard client version doesn't allow? Logging in remotely?

Thanks

Patsky

I meant that the advanced features (copy /import scripts & fields & tables) are not found in the client version of FileMaker.

I have had solutions were we have created batch import / export routines to migrate versions. - not with out its issues. Especially if the solution relies on user defined value lists (edit... turned on) this data does not survive an import export.

Perhaps if I point out that they would have to pay me for an addtional day just to go on-site to implement my changes they'll re-think their "no outside access" policy

Are you expensive or are they cheap?

If you have already assessed that you can make the changes using FM 7 DEV then you don't need to upgrade to FM9 - bear in mind you cannot "upgrade" and must buy a new license for FM9/FM10. Will you be footing the bill for that or the client?

Does you client have the technical skills to permit remote access? If this will involve you supporting them then the costs will rise as you will have expended time on this too.

They can always close the remote access after your work.

Incidentally, another way to get the remote access would be using VNC.

You don't even need the VNC server installing as the Mac OS Sharing permits Apple Remote Desktop which also supports generic VNC clients.

They could just address map the public IP to an internal machine and grant access to the public IP. That way you will be using their own FM license.

This topic is 5595 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.