Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Backing up database - file name

This topic is 5565 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

For some reason I was thinking I could make a backup script for each day of the week:

Monday backup

Tuessaday backup

etc.

And thought there would be a file called 'mydatabase-monday backup', 'mydatabase-tuesday backup', etc.

But I see each time FileMaker server 9 backs up the database, it just over-writes the old database.

Should I just create a single 'daily' backup?

Or is there a way to have Filemaker Server 9 make a backup of my database with a different name every time it backs up my database.

Thanks!

Create a daily backup into different folders for each day. Its a pain since you have to create each individual schedule, but its worth the effort. :

• 2 weeks later...

I recently discovered the same issue, after taking on a new project. I wrote an automator workflow to copy and rename the backup files to another folder on the hard drive, then make a copy of the files to an external drive, for a redundant backup. It eats up space quick, but I think I'm safe writing my weekly files to a DVD and deleting the backups.

FileMaker is scheduled to backup at 6am and 6pm daily.iCal and an applescript trigger the workflow at 11pm each night.

• 3 weeks later...

This topic is 5565 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.