Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Capitalization and checkbox size

Scott_R

This topic is 5575 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello. Two FM9 questions here:

1) I want a couple of fields to default to title capitalization, yet to be able to override this default on a per-record basis. That is, usually have text formatted by title capitalization, except to be able to change it when inappropriate--such as when Roman numerals are used:

Henry VIII

not

Henry Viii

It seems that I can only toggle the control in the Text.. dialog on a database-wide basis.

2) Is there a way to change the appearance of checkboxes--specifically, to make them larger?

You may need 2 fields: one for data entry, and the other an auto-entered calc: Proper(entryField). You can then modify the 2nd field when needed. Not ideal, but maybe workable.

If I understand your 2nd question it's simple: use a larger font size. You can also specify a different line thickness.

...such as when Roman numerals are used:

Henry VIII

not

Henry Viii

You can try something like this calculation:

Substitute ( Proper ( Substitute ( text ; [ "I" ; "1§1" ] ; [ "V" ; "5§5" ] ; [ "X" ; "10§10" ] ; [ "L" ; "50§50" ] ; [ "C" ; "100§100" ] ) ) ; [ "100§100" ; "C" ] ; [ "50§50" ; "L" ] ; [ "10§10" ; "X" ] ; [ "5§5" ; "V" ] ; [ "1§1" ; "I" ] )

User must enter text in lower case but Roman numerals in upper case.

Unfortunately, Roman numerals were only an example--there are other things I need to override capitalization for, also; I'd need a method that wasn't so specific.

The only way to make a bigger checkbox is to use a bigger accompanying font??? That then makes the text much too big.

If the only way to do it is a calculation based on predefined rules, I'm probably stuck: there are no rules. The field contains names, which don't necessarily have capitalization rules. It could be

John AW

or

Bell-Howell (in FM's Title Capitalization system, Howell gets forced into lowercase).

This topic is 5575 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.