Server Maintenance This Week. ×

BUG: FMKR10 does not reset to default printer

marianco

This topic is 5570 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

In Filemaker Pro 9, when I open a database, the printer is set to the default printer in Mac OS X. This is very convenient since I can then specify the printer prior to using a database - particularly if I travel with the database from office to office.

In Filemaker Pro 10, this behavior no longer exists. When I open a database after specifying a default printer in Mac OS X, Filemaker Pro 10 continues to use the previous printer.

Since Filemaker Pro does not have a SET PRINTER command in Mac OS X, the only way around this is to print a blank page so that I can set the printer in the print dialog box.

This is a royal pain in the butt as well as a waste of paper. It adds an additional step to starting a Filemaker database.

Solutions, anyone?

Actually, I believe you are incorrect.

When you use "Page Setup..." via File Menu item or "Print Setup" via script, there is no way to select the printer to print to in Filemaker Pro 10.

"Page Setup..." and "Print Setup" do allow you to access the Printer and Fax preference pane of Mac OS X so you can select the default printer.

However, when you go to print, such as by using the "Print..." File Menu item, Filemaker Pro 10 STILL PRINTS TO THE OLD PRINTER - NOT THE DEFAULT PRINTER.

The only way currently to select the printer to print to is to use the "Print..." File Menu Item or script a print job and select the printer from the Print Dialog Box. Then subsequent print jobs will go to the printer selected.

This is a huge bug.

I am using Mac OS X Leopard, fully updated.

Unfortunately, there is no SELECT PRINTER File Menu Item or Script Step. You have to actually print a page to select the printer.

My work-around is to print a blank page.

Filemaker Pro 9 will print to the default printer when the database is opened. Filemaker Pro 10 will print to the old printer even if it is not the default printer.

This is a bug.

In Windows, Filemaker Pro 10 will print to the default printer. In Mac OS X, it does not exhibit this behavior. Filemaker Pro 9 did.

Thus a "feature" was lost.

Further, in Windows, you can set in a script name what printer to print to. You can't do this in Mac OS X.

It's not a bug, but a feature!

You can specify Print options in OS X using Page Setup (File drop down menu) or Print Setup (in Manage Scripts...).

Sounds like a Print option script may be a convenient tool for you to create.

Edited by Guest

OK.

I think I figured it out.

When I updated from Filemaker Pro 9 Advanced to Filemaker Pro 10 Advanced, something must have happened to my database. Thus it was getting stuck on the old printer instead of setting the printer to print to to the default printer whenever I opened the database.

I ran the recover database routine from the File menu of Filemaker Pro 10 Advanced on my database.

The newly recovered database is free of this printer bug.

My Filemaker Pro database again prints to the default printer set in the Printer and Fax preference pane in Mac OS X. This is the same behavior as in Filemaker Pro 9 Advanced.

Yeah!!!!

I can sleep again.

This topic is 5570 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.