Multiple link between two tables

Mike CPB

This topic is 5541 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Seperately, one link at a time, each thing I'm trying to achieve works. But I'm hitting a brick wall when doing both.

I have two tables. Clients / Call Log.

I show a protal from Call log on a layout from clients. My portal show limited but vital information regarding past call logs.

In the same layout I have linked fields from the the call log table. A script that creates a new call log and captures the call log record id and the linked fields are now active.

Each aspect by itself works fine. But when I create the relationship for both it limits the portal to that new call log record, which makes perfect sence to me.

I'm either going to have to redesing and make temporary fields that script and paste into a new call log, which is my plan as of this moment.

I was just wondering if there was a trick to make the magic happen.

Regards, Mike.

I'm trying to picture what you've described.

On a Client form you have a portal to Call Log table related by ClientID.

You have a button "New Call" that creates a new Call Log record, populating the foreign ClientID.

You set the new CallLogID to a global field in Client. Then, using a relationship from Clients to Call Log by ClientID AND gCallLogID, you have placed fields on the Client form that you'd like your user to edit (they're text fields that are long and aren't easily edited in the portal).

Is this your scenario?

I'm still very new to filemaker pro. But It seems that in the relationship graph by duplicating the call log table and creating separate links, like I had individually working, on one for each of the two tables to the client table, it looks like its working.

If this is a fluke I wish to be corrected. If this is the way it was meant to be setup then I'm happy I've stumbled upon it.

The client RecordID is copied and pasted on each call log ClientRecordID. This is what I’ve created to relationship the portal.

During a new call log, that call log RecrodID is created and temporarily copied during a call to the client CallRecordID. This relationship allows user editing of that record. Then when the call is closed it is cleaned.

If this could be done more correctly I might need to go to school or something to learn, but for just grab-n-go ego I have this is the best I can do.

Regards Mike.

This file is just a demo with the same basic relationships and script.

My database's layout design is not as open for total editing to prevent user error.

Obviously my layout design doesn't have identical portal and linked fields like this file.

If there's a better/proper way to achieve this then I would be interested in your comments.

Regards, Mike.

Contact_Management.zip

This topic is 5541 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.