Closing a window by hitting Esc

alexliz

This topic is 5542 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a list layout. If you click on a line item ID field, I've got a New Window popping up with further details on the line item (the list only shows a small amount of data).

Now the tricky part: to close the pop-up window, the user has to click the Close button on the window top (coming from the OS GUI, be it OS X or Win).

Is there a way to script it so you can just hit Esc on the keyboard and make it go away?

As always, many thanks, people.

Or, add a close or done button that resumes the script that started the popup, and the next step in the script is "Close Window." I'm assuming that once they're in the popup window, they're modal. That is, you've paused with the status hidden and locked.

The whole point of my exercise is to obviate the need for a mouse move, then click sequence.

The user looks at the extended data in the new pop up, then with the left hand quickly hits the Esc button and gets on with work in the main window which is still in the background.

@DJ

CMD-W is fine, except it's a two-stroke combo, plus in Win it becomes CTRL-W. On top of that, I tend of think of CMD-W in terms of closing a 'work' window, as opposed to some temporary flash of info, as is the case with my pop-up displaying some extended data and which is not useful for much else. Otherwise, I am with you on principle.

@bcooney

Fair enough; but is it possible?

As always, many thanks.

This topic is 5542 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.