Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Add/remove objects to the status area

This topic is 5563 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Less real estate is wasted in FMP10 than previous versions, but it would be great if we could add & remove fields, buttons, graphics etc in the status area.

I sometimes want the record navigator but I don't always want the other items, so I have to make my own record navigator and lock out the status area.

I don't know when (if ever) we will be able to add fields and objects to the toolbar. I agree (strongly) with the point that the most used feature of the Toolbar (or earlier Status Area) was the record navigator. It is used by everyone, beginners to experts, all the time.

My complaint is that it is not shown at all when you view the Toolbar as "text only." The other basic commands are. Yes, I know, it would be tricky, especially if you adhere to strictly "text only." But even so, we've all managed to get a "Found 3 of 100 records" merge field onto our layouts. So something is possible.

A "prev" "next", "first" "last" is possible. Though, really, I think a few little arrows would be better. There is a point where slavish consistency is counter-productive. Few are going to complain if there's a few small arrows.* The main reason people choose "text only" is not so much because they absolutely hate all icons, it is because they want the vertical space back. This is how I set up my other applications which support this (such as Preview).

*And they can remove it from the toolbar.

Yes, it would take up some horizontal space. But there's a lot of that, especially on the right side. With the inclusion of basic navigation in the text only view, the toolbar would give us all the basic tools, in a clean and non-intrusive manner. Yes, we could add this ourselves, within our layout area, but, in my opinion, we should not have to.

My pet peeve is more than that ... the records won't even increment if you are looping and it is on a form layout - it just sits there on the first (grey'd out arrow) of record one and the counter won't even increase nor will the status bar. So I never have any idea how many records (in the overall loop) have been processsed as I watch it.

Maybe it's just the Windows version but it bothers me a great deal. If I debug, it increments but it seems that Tool Bar can't refresh.

Edited by Guest

This topic is 5563 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.