Can Scriptmaster trigger a script on exiting a record?

This topic is 5518 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I need to be able to trigger a script on record exit that checks the "order status field" and presents a dialogue box/message when the order status is "open" and then sets the order status field if the user's response indicates the order should be closed.

I am able to do this in "events" but someone recently told me that Scriptmaster was a powerful solution as well. I am looking at the program right now but so far do not see how I would accomplish this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Steve

I have tried everything I can think of to get this to work and I just am not getting it.

I know it is asking a lot...but if you could post an example as to how how I can use your plug in to notify me when an exiting a record that a specified field is populated with specified text I would really appreciate it.

I like to figure these things out on my own...but I cannot think of anything else to try.

Once I see how to properly use your plug in one time I am probably good to go...I am certain I am missing something basic that I should already be part of my core knowledge.

Thanks,

Steve

If you are using FM 9 as your profile shows...

You need a script triggering plugin...zippScript is a good one I use often...or you need to script the navigation away from the record, perhaps by the use of a button.

Once you figure how you want to handle that, a script something like this should get you going:

If [OrderStatusField = "Open"]

Show Custom Dialog [Title; Message; Option1/Option2/Option3]

If [Get (LastMessageChoice) = 1

//your script steps

Else if [Get (LastMessageChoice) = 2]

//your script steps

Else

//more script steps

End if

//more script steps

End if

Edited by Guest

Hi JM,

Thanks for your help.

I realize in V9 (I have 10 my client does not) I need a plug in to launch scripts simply by exiting a record.

I also know I could easily write a script and attach it to a button but if the user forgets to click the button then all is for naught! The script you suggest is well within my skill set to write.

If [OrderStatusField = "Open"]

Show Custom Dialog [Title; Message; Option1/Option2/Option3]

If [Get (LastMessageChoice) = 1

//your script steps

Else if [Get (LastMessageChoice) = 2]

//your script steps

Else

//more script steps

End if

//more script steps

End if

I was told ScriptMaster 360 had the ability trigger a script on exiting a record (a.k.a. committing the record) but I have been unable to get it to work.

I called 360 on the phone about two weeks ago and spoke with them at length about this. Their tech promised they would post something on this forum to help me out.

So far...that has not happened. While this is a free product I am sure it is free to entice people to buy their revenue generatng products and/or services. But, based on the support I have received from them on this one...I think the odds I pay for something from them are slim to none. Had they not promised to help I would not hold it agains them. I understand supporting a "free" product in the manner I requested might not be a good idea....But if they said they would they should...or say otherwise. I would have understood. I woudn't have liked it, but I would have understood.

Oh well....I'll keep plugging away.

Steve

Sorry to hear your frustrations. It is rare that I hear anyone complain about their tech support.

I haven't really used that plugin, but give me a day or two to check it out and I will see if I can help you get it working. Maybe in the meantime, one of the tech guys at 360 will see your post and chime in. It may also be useful if you could post a sample file, or a clone (no records), of your file. That would help figure out exactly why it isn't working for you.

Will post back today or tomorrow.

Hi JM,

Unfortunately I can;tt post a sample of my working file as it is proprietary and would violate the terms of my contract.

With that said...what I am trying to accomplish seems like it should be fairly simple assuming the plug in will work as I have been told it will work.

All I want to do is check a field (status) on exiting (aka committing) the record to see if the field contents = "Open" If yes then "display window with message and choices" If "closed" then do nothing...essentially exit script.

(By the way...I realize a downisde to this is any action that commits the record would call the script...but that is something I need to live with.)

The script part is easy...getting the plug in to trigger on the record commit is the part I am not getting. I am sure it is something simple I am missing...but I admit I am just missing it.

Thanks for your offer of assistance. If you can it would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Understood.

I still haven't had a chance to get into ScriptMaster at all.

However, I was thinking two things.

1. Check out zippScript (if you can still find it) or EventScript or DoScript. They don't have quite as much in the way of functionality as ScriptMaster, but it does work with script triggering.

2. With zippScript, to get a script to trigger on record commit, or change, you invoke the zipp function in the validation (by calculation). The validation, which happens when a record is committed would then initiate the script.

Play around with that for while...I'll get back to this as I get time.

This topic is 5518 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.