Server Maintenance This Week. ×

HR Database with Limited Developer Access

Dana G

This topic is 5557 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have been asked by my employer to add our employee evaluation forms as a layout in FileMaker. They want each supervisor (about 15 total) to be able to enter their employee's evaluation information into this layout rather than having separate MS Word files. The idea being that it is available for management to review at any time. I can handle the permissions for allowing certain people to see only designated records but I am having a hard time figuring out how to block myself from seeing them. I am not a supervisor, management, etc. and can not have access to other employee's records. I would really like to host this file on our server so that they can all access it at the same time. However, the only solution I have come up with to this point is to maintain an empty file on my PC for design modificaiton purposes and give our HR manager a copy that he will host on his PC (limiting users to 5?). All I need to do is modify the layouts and manage the users.

Any ideas?

Ralph,

I'm not sure that I understand what you mean. If you are implying that it's not possible the I would like to seek a second opinion. I'm looking for some information from the forum users to see if this somehting anyone has encountered before. Surely not all developers are allowed to see all of the data that is inputted into their databases.

Thanks.

Could this be accomplished with some File Separation? Have the confidential info maintained in a separate file.

That doesn't answer how to develop and maintain the file that holds the confidential info. I'm assuming the info is primarily some basics like salary, insurance info. Once that was setup maybe it wouldn't have to be modified but once ever couple of years if that.

The way I am currently proceeding is creating the file that I will give to HR and retain a copy of it for myself. He will host the file locally on his PC (not ideal). If a change is needed I will make the changes in my file and then give him a copy that he will have to import the old records into. This all seems rather painful.

This can be done but it requires advanced programming techniques. You will need to encrypt the data at rest in the real files, but you can develop the UI and the scripts on a clone with ersatz data. It is also possible that you can have an ersatz record or records that exist in the actual file that are not encrypted that you can use to test functionality.

This is not simple, but it can be done.

Steven

This topic is 5557 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.