LDAP & Long Names

This topic is 3563 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

LDAP has nothing to do with External Server Authentication. Please see the External Server Authentication Tech Brief on this subject. Active Diretory and Open Directory are the supported protocols.

On OS X, in Open Directory, the short name is the one used and recognized.

Please remember that while there can be External Authentication under Open Directory, there is no Single Sign On. SSO can be emulated by use of the KeyChain in OS X.

HTH

Steven

Yes I was referring to Open Directory authentication (which I always confuse with LDAP). I was hoping to be able to use short name and/or long name. Also, I looked all through the tech brief and did several searches online and no where did I find any mention of Open Directory using only the short name. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
  • Newbies

"LDAP has nothing to do with External Server Authentication" -- this is a ridiculous thing to say. Open Directory and Active Directory are Apple's and Microsoft's implementations of the LDAP protocol, respectively.

This is like saying "we don't support email, we only support Gmail."

"LDAP has nothing to do with External Server Authentication" -- this is a ridiculous thing to say. 

Well then, welcome to the forums.

You're mistaken.  OD and AD are implementations of a "Directory Service".  LDAP is nothing but a protocol that can interact with a Directory Service.

What you are saying is that HTTP is the same as IIS or Apache.

What Wim said.

Additionally, in the Console there are a number of settings regarding LDAP.  These do not pertain in any fashion to External Server Authentication.  Many people are understandably confused about this, thinking that the LDAP panel is where External Server Authtication resides.  It does not reside there.

Steven

This topic is 3563 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.