Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Standalone runtime advantage?

This topic is 5544 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

If I have a database and make it into a standalone runtime package, does it gain speed, memory usage or some other aspect than running the same database on FMP?

I'm coming to an end of trial license and I am debating whether I need Advanced version, but I can't really judge these things since there is no trial for Advanced. Filemaker's website doesn't really spend many words on this, and threads on this board are also specific to their problems and I don't really get much out of them.

I'm mainly using my database by myself and on a few computers, but if standalone runtime works well, I may let some collaborators use it as well. Not a very high priority matter but don't want to make a mistake when shopping.

Thanks!

Edited by Guest

You can send me the file back channel and I will bind your solution for you to test...

If you have "stand alone versions" on different computers you would have to write a routine to export and collect data into one file since the runtimes are not networkable.

Edited by Guest

Depending on how complex you want to get there are quite a number of features in Advanced that will help you to debug scripts.

You can step through a script and monitor field and variable values. Also you can define custom menus and functions.

These may not mean much to you yet, but thay could save you many hours of debugging.

If the question is really "should I get FMP Advanced" rather than "what are the advantages of runtimes" then the answer is:

Yes, get FMP Advanced. Custom menus, custom functions, script debugging, the DDR report are all necessary if you want to get serious about developing FMP solutions.

This topic is 5544 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.