Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FMS 10 Admin Console suddenly quit working

This topic is 5495 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I installed Filemaker Server 10 on a brand new machine running 10.5.6 about two weeks ago. Everything has been running fine. Then today I noticed that Backups had not run since about Noon yesterday.

I logged on to the server and launch FMS Admin Console. It launches fine but I am unable to run scripts, close databases, shutdown database server etc... I don't get any error messages the commands just don't make any effect. There are no log files available since yesterday about Noon.

The connected client list is frozen. It shows people connected but it is an out of date list. Currently there is only one person connected and the list shows 11 people.

I can turn web publishing on and off, but clicking the button to turn off the database server fails to shut down the database server.

If I edit the schedules for the backups, the report that the file path for the backups are invalid however, the paths are valid and worked fine up till yesterday. The file paths have not been changed.

Also the database server seems to be running properly for client access. Clients can connect from both FileMaker Pro and over the web. However no server side scripts or backups are running.

I could do a hard reboot on the server but I'd rather not take the chance of damaging the databases. Especially since my last good backups are from a day ago. A lot of data gets put into this database.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...
  • Newbies

I run into this problem with our FMS 9.

The server does not respond to admin commands, from both Admin Console and the command line. I have found this to be the worst, since a force quit is the only solution I have found.

The second situation is where the Admin Console does not respond but the command line does. This is much less stressful, since you can disconnect clients and shutdown gracefully.

First off, it is best to make sure all clients are disconnected. It may be worth it to inactivate the server network connection first, to absolutely disconnect all clients, running around to 10 workstations is not bad, but forget it when you have 80 workstations. If command line works, it's a no brainer to use it.

Where you go from there is your own best practice, but a restart is the end game. At least with no clients connected, you have a much better chance of avoiding corruption on data files.

I have found that when the Admin Console does not respond, users are still able to log in, but I feel the performance is reduced. So the sooner you restart the better.

I know for a fact, when the database is backing up, you DO NOT want to be managing ANY aspect of the database files. Managment activity during backup will cause the server to become non responsive to admin commands. Not every time, but once is all it takes.

I first experienced the non responsive Admin Console when uploading a file via the Admin Assistant.

Good luck.

I agree with Iceman here. Try to execute some commands via command line. Also check your Java version. The newer versions affect the admin console.

This topic is 5495 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.