Accessing IWP from outside the local network

This topic is 5448 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

The situation so far:

I have a Filemaker database, which is always open on a desktop machine that is always turned on, at my office. The database has IWP enabled. When connected to the same network as this machine, I am able to access the database through my web browser on other machines.

Here is what I am hoping to accomplish:

I would like to somehow be able to take my laptop home, and access the same database live through my web browser from home (on a different network).

I feel like this is probably very easy, but I have no experience in Filemaker or in network admin, so any help is appreciated. I am working with FM Pro 9 Advanced, and running Mac OSX Leopard.

Thanks!

Hi,

I don't think this is something you can easily achieve. You would need at least a fixed IP, dyndns address or something like that.

The only (secure) way I can think of to connect to your network is via a VPN tunnel... It would then act as if you're connected locally to your network.

• Newbies

I was worried that might be the case. Can you point me to any good resources that demonstrate how to properly set up a VPN on a Mac? I've started to look into this already: I have purchased iVPN to allow me to create a server on Mac OSX (rather than buying Mac OSX server), but beyond actually owning the software, I've made little progress.

You don't need to set up a VPN server on your mac at home, all you need at home is a client to connect to the remote network.

The remote network needs to be configured for VPN, and that is the hard part. You would probably need a VPN box, a subscription with your ISP, and a dyndns address. It can come pretty expensive if you're only gonna use it for accessing a database..

If you would go for this solution I strongly recommend you would see a professional though, it's not something that's easy to set up yourself and you'd probably end up calling a professional anyway ;)-)

• Newbies

Unfortunately, my "office" is just me and one other person, so I have no server machines etc. to set up something too advanced. The issue is that the two of us work on the same database, and need to have it up-to-date whether either of us is working in the office, in the field, or at home. Perhaps I need to look into web-hosting our filemaker database, unless anyone has an alternative suggestion.

This sounds like a classic case for web hosting. Just google for 'filemaker hosting'.

If you attempt to host the file yourself from your home office then the computer will need to be on 24/7. External service will be limited in speed to the limits of the UPLOAD on your DSL.

Let someone else have the technical headaches.

If you hunt around a little you will find FM hosting often comes with web and e-mail bundled in.

• 3 weeks later...

If you cannot get this working, http://worldcloud.com can provide you a dedicated FileMaker Server 10 Advanced platform on 30 day free trial - that way it is on the public internet with dedicated ip and accessible by all - easier than trying to do it in - house

This topic is 5448 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.