Help needed: duplicating information from fields in two different layouts

This topic is 5460 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

First of all let me say that I'm going on my first steps on FM, although I wanted very much since I can't remember...but I really need some help in two points for now. (so I'm counting on you guys :worship:)

The facts:

I'm building a database to help me keep the records to my PhD thesis in Art History. I have several art objects (altars) that I need to save specific information, and the places where they are (churches) also need information saved.

In two (2) Layouts I'm able to save all the information I need, BUT, some fields are the same in the two tables. (about 5 fields)

For instance:

Layout A: Churches Registration

One record per church - in that layout I have one field with an automate serial number

Layout B: Altars Registration

One record per altar - in that layout I have one field to REFER to that automate serial number in the Layout A.

What do I want with this?

what I want is: when I enter, in Layout B, the number of the record from the Layout A, the repeating fields (from the Layout A) are automatically filled in the layout B!

What I've done so far:

-I'm created the same fields in the 2 Layouts

-I've created the relationships between the 2 Layouts (but don't know if they are correct)

-I've chosen the option "Lookup" in the repeating fields.

NOT WORKING :laugh::laugh::laugh: (off course, I'm just a newbie how could it work?)

The other thing, I think it's more simple: how can I reset the serial number to 0 or 1 (no records are there yet)?

Please don't forget about me or I'll be totally doomed :titanic:

You are absolutely correct.:thumbup:

I might have to do 3 (average) or 5 or 10 altar records per church, but that is not a problem to me because each altar got to have one inventory file. I just don't want to type the same boring information in those 3, 5 or 10 records... :bang:

You don't need to type the same information twice. In the Altars table, you need to enter the altar data only, and also the unique ID of the parent church record. The church data is available through a relationship matching the ID.

I've tried that in the first place...didn't work. Even if I erase all the records and set the next number to "1", still goes on the supposed next. If i need a script...what would that be?

Even if I erase all the records and set the next number to "1", still goes on the supposed next.

Are you sure you have the right field?

The script does the same thing you would do manually. It only needs the one step I have mentioned.

you are again correct! :clap:

now it worked! i guess I was not selecting the right field before. :qwery:

Many many thanks! I solved the situation in only 2 hours...uau.

Before I was developing a access db and I took more than 2 days to do what I have done so far. I'm loving Filemaker!

This topic is 5460 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.