Server Maintenance This Week. ×

IWP and Internet Explorer

This topic is 5463 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

It is very very annoying when I try to use IWP with IE ! Many of the fields does not activate at all when clicking them. Especially, when the field is empty. Clicking the text usually works. Is there any cure for that ? In many places own software (for example FireFox) is not allowed by the IT admins, so changing the browser is not an option.

Today I was demonstrating my solution and IE was in use. You can imagine, what happened... :-/

My guess goes this way:

1) Open Internet Explorer.

2) Select Internet Options from the Tools menu.

3) In Internet Options dialog box select the Security tab.

4) Click Custom level button at bottom. The Security settings dialog box will pop up.

5) Under Scripting category enable Active Scripting , Allow paste options via script and Scripting of Java applets

6) Click OK twice to close out.

7) Hit Refresh

But remember to negotiate this with the IT-admins, it can jeopardise the entire security level.

...a way to circumvent this temporarily is to make yourself a:

http://wikigiz.com/2008/02/03/create-an-windows-xp-live-cd

...where nothing is touched in the demo computers harddrives, and Explorer works as expected!

--sd

Thank you, Soren !

This may work in some places, but we are expecting about 200 users to this database, most of them are using IE and in places where modifying IE security settings is not possible.

I think the only way is to promote Firefox or Safari etc and hope the majority can change to them.

There are more options to consider - although the feasibility or ROI largely will be hurt here - what you're up against is that Windows per se is the most attacked platform on one side and the ability to support and maintain is the IT supervisors dream tool on the other side. It's in no way going to disappear as problem over night, too many conservative powers are greased into this.

I have in my time with filemaker seen strong men, being bowed down by the performance of IWP - a guy I keep getting assignments from denies to bury it - although he already have spend endless hours to trim the issued/ generated HTML down to a minimum of complexity, can't I get away from the thought that it's somewhat of an quixotic endeavour.

Would PHP Site assistance be useful in this problem ?

I really don't know, but it seems like an recognition of the inadequacies IWP exhibits. But php utilisation is so pretty widespread, and the guy I just told you about - who also is my main filemaker income, can see that the malicious attacks presumes a browser worn solution uses php ... one of his arguments to stay onboard IWP.

What I have raised as the alternative, I think should be considered more is the Runtime Revolution and Paradigma combo,since you here make .exe files for each user via:

http://www.runrev.com/products/related-software/fmpro-migrator-developer/

http://www.fmpromigrator.com/products/fmpro_migrator/index.html

But I haven't yet made him realise this, and it's a little like "He who pays for the music, decides which songs to be played" I can't rember the correct wording here, but I hope you understand the meaning.

--sd

This topic is 5463 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.