Printing using Portaled information

Grimlitch

This topic is 5457 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am using a letter in FM and use <> <> in a form letter that allows it to dynamically alter the size and spacing. I then used a portal to bring data from another database and when using the same form letter the first and last are not seen on this letter. The fields are <::first> and <::Last>. Is there a way to include this information in the form letter in the database that the information is being portaled into.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

• Newbies

It has address, phone, city state and zip for each record created this way, as well as data for tracking. But only the First and Last name fields are used in the letter. Before I used a portal we recreated all the info for the second database for this and the letter worked fine.

Well, if all the letter is seeing is the first and last name, then you don't need a portal for this part. In the layout that has the letter, create a new field in it's table called Name. Make it a calculation. When the calculation box comes up, you will see your list of fields on the top half, left side. Right above your fields you will see a menu that says Current Table. Change it to your related table. You will then see the fields form the related table. You would double click on the name of the field to make it show up as part of the calculation. Make your calculation as follows:

& " " &

Instead of the words Other Table (as I have above) you will see the name of the relation. What will happen is this field will have both first and last names with a space in between.

Edited by Guest

I am using a letter in FM and use <> <> in a form letter that allows it to dynamically alter the size and spacing. I then used a portal to bring data from another database and when using the same form letter the first and last are not seen on this letter. The fields are <::first> and <::Last>. Is there a way to include this information in the form letter in the database that the information is being portaled into.

It is better to create your reports in the file where the original data resides.

Do a search of this Forum, for printing and Protals ([color:blue]+Printing +Portal include the pluses as shown), and you will find many threads regarding the pros and cons of trying to print the data using portals.

HTH

Lee

This topic is 5457 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.