Win NT Server?

Chuck

This topic is 8530 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

OK, I can't avoid it. I have a client who wants a web site built with FileMaker Pro and Lasso. They are putchasing FMP Server 5, FMP Unlimited 5 and Lasso 3.5.

No problem, I can do this, says I.

EXCEPT, I'm an avowed Macintosh guru, not a Windows guru. I tend to have an alergic reaction to Windows, and have stayed away from it whenever possible. I have developed solutions for Windows, but it's always been the client side that I had to worry about, so Windows 9x, FMP for Windows, and Virtual PC on my Mac has always been enough.

What do I need to know to set this up. What dangers do I need to look out for. I'm flying up to Sacramento in about a month to set this up, so I have some time. Should I look for someone else to give me a hand, or can a generally knowledgable computer person get the job done without too much hassle?

It's going to be a dedicated machine running only those three programs (Server, Unlimited and Lasso). How important is the web server they are using? Should I just have them use the Lasso version with the built-in web server?

As you can see, this is one area of FMP that I'm totally ignorant on. Please give me some pointers.

Thanks,

Chuck

I too just went to Win. I can only comment on the server as I have not gotten into Lasso, etc. The server must be an "NT Server" and so you have all the problems associated with it. It is best to have an expert set that up and you just write the application. If you have the NT server running, the making of the application is little different from the Mac OS. Good luck.

------------------

• 1 month later...

I have develped on both platforms and I can openly say that the WinNT box smashes the G4 for performance. I have recently installed a 733mhz Compaq Deskpro EN with 256 meg of ram, 18 gig HD and Win2000 pro. It rocks!!!

and I have not problems as long as you read all the hidden "README" files and additional notes. Todate it has been running for over 2 mnths and not crashed the G4 (OS9) falls over about 2 times a week.

NT only has one rule don't skimp on the RAM

• 4 weeks later...

1. I don't recommend running FileMaker Server 5 on an NT Server. You can run into a lot of port and IP conflicts. You also will not get any speed advantage running NT Server. I recommend running FileMakerServer 5 on NT 4.0 workstation w/SP6, and a static IP address. Just make sure you add as much RAM as possible. If the FMP Server will run on SERVER hardware, so much the better - but just load NT Workstation OS.

2. I don't recommend running FileMaker Unlimited on the same box. There may be some port conflicts between FMP Server and FMP Unlimited. Run FMP Unlimited and Lasso on a separate box.

Open the related files on the server from Unlimited then serve those files there. There will be better security for the server that way - otherwise the server (and files) will be vulnerable if you are hosting outside your firewall.

quote:

Originally posted by dykstrl:

1. I don't recommend running FileMaker Server 5 on an NT Server. You can run into a lot of port and IP conflicts. You also will not get any speed advantage running NT Server.

Can FM 5 server run as service on workstation?

So far we did not experience any conflicts on WinNT4 server and FM5 server.

But if it can run on workstation as a service, you will save a lot of money.

FM server on NT is running circles around Macs.

Mac users should run ONLY FM SERVER on one dedicated machine and ALWAYS IN FRONT because of non-existent preemptive multitasking.

That will change when FM will run on Mac X machines.

Then we will see.

[This message has been edited by Anatoli (edited January 06, 2001).]

FM Server runs as a service on NT wrokstation and it does seem to have a speed advantage over running FM Server on MAC (We run 7 FM Servers running on both) because it is running as a service on top of the GUI environment - as MAC is not.

If you run FM Server on a NT Server, you are porbably going to use for more than one purpose - which I do not recommend.

This topic is 8530 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.