changing layout order as a guest

This topic is 8599 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Is there any way to allow guests of files hosted by FileMaker Server to modify the layout order? Some of our users are frustrated that they're able to create new layouts as guests, but can't change the layout order, even if they are the only guest. Thanks.

There is no way to change the layout order as a guest. My guess is that to allow this change would create a situation in which users FM copies would lose track of what layout is in what position and create incorrect references. The same reason a you can't change field definitions with multiple users. It's not the best of ideas to be modifying live databases anyway! -bd

quote:

Originally posted by LiveOak:

There is no way to change the layout order as a guest. My guess is that to allow this change would create a situation in which users FM copies would lose track of what layout is in what position and create incorrect references. The same reason a you can't change field definitions with multiple users. It's not the best of ideas to be modifying live databases anyway! -bd

I understand what you mean, although I was surprised at the restriction since you can change/create field definitions and relationships as a guest. Thanks for the clarification.

quote:

Originally posted by cfoster:

I understand what you mean, although I was surprised at the restriction since you can change/create field definitions and relationships as a guest. Thanks for the clarification.

You cannot modify the STRUCTURE of the database (which is access rights, layout order and field definations) as a guest or while guests are connected.

You can change relationships and scripts, because they are not part of the structure of the DB.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

This topic is 8599 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.