Multiple merge values from single field

HammerHeD

This topic is 5427 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Not sure if thats the proper way to describe what I;ve been pulling my hair out trying to do, but I'll do my best to explain.

I have been trying to figure out a way to autogenerate a report with merge fields pulling data from the filemaker database. I understand how to make that work, except for one part.

There are actually 3 sections that get pulled into a single document to make the finished report. The first 2 where fairly straight foreward as the data is static once entered into the database.

My issue lies with having setup an interface to make entering the repetative parts of writing the report a little easier. In this section, the student would have an interface that had a field for Date, Weather, Temp, Time and Event. As they fill them out, I'd like it to build a document. The problem is, I cannot figure out how to have it leave the first entry on the report once the data is rentered into the interface.

What I want is:

<>

<> <>

<>

<>

So once they fill out the event field, I'd like to be able to have it loop back and repeat the process only with the new values. Since the report will be built and saved as 1 record when complete, I imagine I might be able to have the generator part use global fields, but I'm just stumped at the moment on where to begin.

Hopefully I've explained it in a fashion that someone can understand. :

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions

Just trying to clarify because I don't totally understand what you're asking : ...

Are you saying that when your user enters the data you want to automatically create a new record so that they can continuing entering information?

If so you could attach a script trigger that fires when the user exits the last field, checks that all fields are filled out and creates a new record.

Is this what you meant or have I misunderstood?

Sort of..... although I don't think its a record I require, but rather a report generated from those fields that would keep the firsr value, and then make a new paragraph for any new value .

Sorry if I can't explain it correctly.... perhaps an example would clarify it.

The database contains data about experiments. On one layout, there is a place with drop down menus for Date, Weather, Temp, Time and a checkbox for if or not video was obtained of the event. Finally, a text box where the event can be described was added. This exists to the right of the printable part of the layout. On the left side, I thought I could make a simple text layout that would capture the information as added, but allow me to keep the first info entered, and simply add the next data input. So the result would be like:

- Date would go here

- Weather would go here

- Time would Go here

- If Video was aquired it would say so here

- Then the event would be described here on as many lines as was nessesary. Then it would add say 2 lines and await more data from the same place this data came from, but rather then replace it...append it to the first one.

The next 'event' (assuming it occurs on the same day) would not need the Date or Temp fields, so I'd like to have it empty the filds once added to the report, and only add the fields that data was entered into on the next line.

Final report would look something like:

5/19/2009

Sunny 19C

11:43AM

(video obtained)

Sea urchin from Tank-003 was introduced to new enviroment in tank-001.

11:45AM

(video obtained)

Wolf eel ate Sea Urcin before it could establish itself in tank

11:59AM

Wolf Eel removed from tank-001 and segregated in tank-005

All of this would be automatically generated from the original layout I described.

Hopefully I didnt make it harder to understand then I did the first time :

Thanks in advance for the help!

I think I understand what you're trying to do, : , but still suggest that you'll be better off using a related table of 'Events', as this will give you more flexibility than putting everything in a text field.

You could use a calculated text field in the parent 'Experiment' record to create the report, but a separate layout may be better.

Not knowing more of your circumstances it is difficult to know what to suggest, but I've attached a rough and ready example that should show you what I mean.

Hope this helps

Matt

Experiments.fp7.zip

Thanks for the quick response!.

I'm almost certain that I'm doing it wrong, and your suggestion is likely the proper way....but thats why I'm here :

I'll look over your file and see if I can make sense of it, then respond again.

Thanks for taking the time to help. Really appreciate it

I think I'm beginning to see what you mean. Thats pretty much excactly what I need it to do, except they will be filling this out from their notes in most cases not live, so time and rest should be easier to alter, but thanks so much for this.....I think I might actually be able to understand it enough to make it work even :

Having said that.... is the Log button only to create a log of the event?

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain this (or rather show it) to me. It likely saved me days of trying to figure out how to impliment it. I imagine it'll still take me a bit to actually make it work inside the solution, but at least I now have a direction to head rather then just spinning like I was :)

If so you could attach a script trigger that fires when the user exits the last field, checks that all fields are filled out and creates a new record.

That sounds interesting - how would you do this?

is the Log button only to create a log of the event?

Pretty much yes, it goes to the Log layout, creates a new log record and returns, then puts the cursor in the correct field. You don't need to do this, as you could just check the box in the relationship to allow records to be created automatically, but then you would have to navigate to the bottom of the portal to find the next blank record, and it wouldn't auto-enter the date and time until you exit the record.

Obviously there is much work to be done to get it displaying information in the way that you need, but I hope this gives you a start.

Feel free to post back if you need any more advice. These forums are great for getting ideas and help.

Quote:

Off the top of my head, you would need to attach an 'On Object Save' or 'On Object Exit' script to the last field in the sequence, which then checks if all the correct fields are filled in / valid ("If IsValid (fieldA) and IsValid (fieldB)..."). If it passes this test then the script creates a new record.

Does this help?

You show version 8.5 as your version. In order to have a script trigger upon exit from a field, you will need to have a plugin.

The Script Triggers are version 10 Functions.

I should really get version 10. I'd also be interested in conditional tabbing. while you're tabbing thru your fields, entering data, certain entries will make the tabbing go in a different order - is that possible yet?

I'd also be interested in conditional tabbing. while you're tabbing thru your fields, entering data, certain entries will make the tabbing go in a different order - is that possible yet?

I guess it would be possible, yes. You wouldn't actually be altering the tab order, rather using an 'On Object Exit' script to grab the name / value of the field you are exiting and using these parameters to determine the next field to be entered.

I imagine it would be a little complicated to set up....

This topic is 5427 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.