External Authentication with Separation Model

This topic is 5421 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm a bit confused over a behavior I'm seeing with regards to external authentication. Here's the scenario:

I have several files in a solution, all hosted by FMS 10 on Tiger Server. I set up the GUI file to be authenticated via external authentication from the same server. It works fine. The puzzling part is why does the DATA file, which is set up to only authenticate via FMP log me in with my FMP account (which has different login credentials than the GUI)?

IOW I login to the GUI as "User A" with password "X" and the DATA file opens with the credentials of "User B" with password "Y" without prompting me for those credentials.

Any help on why this behavior occurs is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Kent

Hi Steven,

I hadn't considered the keychain because I "never" store FM credentials of my client's databases in keychains. Guess I better change that to "almost never", since that's what I did in this case.

Thanks for your help!

-Kent

I converted a large and complex network of FMP solutions to external authentication recently. One of things that helped make de-bugging significantly easier was adding two scripts to every file and displaying them in the script menu: one allows the current user to re-login; and the other opens a custom dialog that displays Get( AccountName ) and Get( PrivilegeSetName ).

The latter would have helped you immediately identify which account and privilege set the file was actually opened with.

... was adding two scripts to every file and displaying them in the script menu: one allows the current user to re-login; and the other opens a custom dialog that displays Get( AccountName ) and Get( PrivilegeSetName ).

Hey Vaughan,

I like the dialog idea. Very nice for quick troubleshooting.

I'm guessing that the re-login script performs a re-login to all the files in the solution, correct? If it's just a re-login to that particular file, why would you do that?

Thanks,

-Kent

Kent, no the re-log-in script only allows the current file to be re-logged into. In this organisation, files can be shared across many solutions.

The re-log-in script's purpose is mainly to allow the developer to testing with externally authenticated accounts, then re-log-in with the developer account to make quick changes without having to close and re-open the file.

Got it...that makes sense. I use a relogin script in just about every GUI I build to relogin across all files, but that makes sense to have a relogin script just for each file also, for quick, file specific development.

Thanks!

-Kent

• 4 weeks later...

This topic is 5421 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.