Idea Server Setup???

This topic is 8563 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

quote:

Originally posted by freemooner:

Any Ideas???

I would like to built a network using 15-20 workstations dedicated to FM use, I would like to know the idea Server setup (speed,

memory and etc...)Fundings is unlimited!!!

Macintosh or Windows?

Speed - as fast as possible

Memory - as much as possible

Harddrive - as big as possible, preferably a RAID setup.

This is vague, because you did not give any details about what you are going to be doing with this setup. How many users, how many databases, how big are they, web access, etc?

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

• Newbies

quote:

Originally posted by captkurt:

Macintosh or Windows?

Speed - as fast as possible

Memory - as much as possible

Harddrive - as big as possible, preferably a RAID setup.

This is vague, because you did not give any details about what you are going to be doing with this setup. How many users, how many databases, how big are they, web access, etc?

Sorry!!!

Windows NT or Win2000

I have currently several FM databases up to

a total of 10Gigs, the files are used for staff browsing of kit count sheets with JPEG photos for viewing, each photo record is up to 2mb total (some records have several photos) Currently I have a 400mz Pll server with 3 18.1G hard drives, RAID4, FM server, LAN T3 networking.

Currently I have 5 NT4 workstations and will be adding 12 more. I need to know if I should think about upgrading the server because of the addition workstations.

Thanks

Actually rather than going for big hard disk, I'd be spending my money going for F-A-S-T. Since databases are very disk intensive, disk access is often a limiting factor.

If money is no object go for a RAM disk setup. I've never done it but nothing would touch it for speed.

I've not tried a RAM disk setup on the PC side, but on the Mac side we've used Rambunctious 1.5 will very good stability (as good as a conventional setup). CALTRANS(California Dept. of Transportation) gave a session on using RAM disk in a VERY large installation. In their case, the disk drives would fragment to non-function in under a week and actually wear out on a regular basis (Whew!). They performed a backup every 15 minutes. If there was a crash, they didn't try to perform a Recover (10 hours), just copied a backup to the RAM volume (3 minutes). I think it is worth looking at a RAM disk setup before going to a RAID array. In any RAM disk setup, a UPS and cooperative shutdown software are mandatory (duh!). -bd

This topic is 8563 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.