Server Freezes

Dwight

This topic is 8508 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am developing a solution on FMP Server 5 on an almost dedicated G4 (after the FMP Server is shut down we use Retrospect to backup many volumes to external Firewire HDs)running OS 9.0.4. My problem is frequent freezes when there is no activity at all. I using a client iMac. Several times a day with or without me using the files being served, the G4 freezes. I suspect its a Finder problem. Several days ago I did a clean reinstall of everything. Is anyone else experiencing problems of this nature?

Anatoli,Do you get kick-backs from Bill Gates for advertising NT on FMF? wink.gif

I would take a look at the Energy Saver control panel. Make sure it is set not to sleep the processor, screen or disk drive. I would also disable any extensions you don't need. You really don't need retrospect, as FM will run a script to backup to an external drive. On reload, make sure you format the drive to do a completely clean install.

G4 cubes can have a cooling problem. We added fans to two G4 Cube servers and it seemed to have solved the problem. There is a shareware app called Thermograph (try www.kagi.com), which works on all G4 machines and plots processor temperature. This is only an problem on cubes. This is the first Mac I've seen with a heat problem out of about 250+ models.

(Of course, Anatoli, Windows machines NEVER have heat problems!)

quote:

Originally posted by LiveOak:

Anatoli,Do you get kick-backs from Bill Gates for advertising NT on FMF?
wink.gif

(Of course, Anatoli, Windows machines NEVER have heat problems!)

Bill doesn't like me because I am FileMaker freak and not Access one :-)

Hey, is this FileMaker forum, or mutual admiration of Macs forum? I have tons of Macs around as a clients, but to put FM server on them is just waste of money.

We are building our own machines for running NT and NEWER had a problem with anything.

Anatoli, loyal Apple user since 1982.

This topic is 8508 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.