Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Server & Mac OS 9.1

This topic is 8402 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Has anyone tried FileMaker Server 5 out with Mac OS 9.1? We just bought the server version and installed it on a Beige G3 wiped clean and freshly loaded with Mac OS 9.1.

FileMaker Pro 5 Unlimited will not stay connected to the server for longer than 24 hours. FileMaker Server says that the client is no longer responding even though EtherPeek shows that the client returns every one of the FileMaker Server's test packets that go out once a minute.

Has anyone else had this problem with any other configuration? FileMaker Pro 5 Unlimited is running on a machine with 8.6. They each have plenty of RAM allocated to the respective FileMakers.

Check your power management settings? If the drive goes to sleep this can lead to disconnecting users.

Also are you using Appleshare IP on this?, if so make sure you User Idle setting is disabled, otherwise they will get kicked of if no activity is picked up.

The other option is get a PC smile.gif

However, some people have come to believe that the answer to EVERY mac server question is to buy a PC. wink.gif

1) I wouldn't run FM Server on the same computer as AppleShare IP.

2) With a G3 beige, I'd probably stick with system 8.6 for better stability. System 9.1 has turned up with some bugs.

3) Pay careful attention to the settings in the Energy saver control panel. Set "put the system to sleep", "monitor to sleep" and "hard drive to sleep" all to never. In the "Preferences" menu "Server Settings", check "Restart after power failure" and "Never put hard disk to sleep". In the "Notification" preference, uncheck the notification options.

4) Make sure to keep FM in the foreground (instead of Finder).

-bd

• Newbies

Thanks for the suggestions...but:

1) I've already turned off all of the Energy Saver functions.

2) AppleShare IP is not running on the Mac in question.

If it continues to randomly disconnect, we may go back to Mac OS 8.6. However, it seems to have stabilized in the past few days. The connection uptime is at 2 days, 10 hours right now. Here's to crossing fingers...

-Colin

quote:

Originally posted by byteworks:

The other option is get a PC
smile.gif

You'll be soon charged with criminal offence of supporting Bill's platform.

But you are very true. I am using everything what is around and it is doing the job. MacOS for FM server is far from ideal. When FM will be native on MacX, that will be probably better, than PC and NT.

Be very careful here. Mac users are mostly bunch of intolerant weirdoes without sense of humor.

Anatoli, loyal Apple user from 1982

I've been running FMS 5 on a G4/500 on 9.0.4 for quite some time now, and it has been almost bulletproof. The last crash we had was more than 6 months ago, and that was hard drive failure. We are also running a RAMDisk which has provide a significant increase in both performance and stability.

As for being an intolerant, weirdo, mac-head, so what, I get the job done. smile.gif

I'd be interested in information on drive failures not that Apple has switched to ATA drives. The old SCSI drives shipped with Macs had a reputation of almost never failing. I would be interesting to know if the new "cheap" ATA drives will have a significantly higher failure rate. In any case, with cheap prices for RAM for the new machines, RAM disks are an attractive option. -bd

quote:

Originally posted by LiveOak:

However, some people have come to believe that the answer to EVERY mac server question is to buy a PC.
wink.gif

-bd

It used to be "Get the Mac" 5-10 years ago :-)

Now it seems to be, that some aps are running better on PC, than on Macs :-(

I've been working in a shop for six years. We had much more problem with ATA drives than scsi. The drives going to sleep and never coming back were ATA. And the ATA on G3 Blue with FireWire were unable to export video... And there was the problem with the formatting software from Apple, with which it was impossible to do a low-level format. Apple said it was no longer necessary... Sic.

• 3 months later...
  • Newbies

quote:

Originally posted by Ununnilium:

Has anyone tried FileMaker Server 5 out with Mac OS 9.1? We just bought the server version and installed it on a Beige G3 wiped clean and freshly loaded with Mac OS 9.1.

FileMaker Pro 5 Unlimited will not stay connected to the server for longer than 24 hours. FileMaker Server says that the client is no longer responding even though EtherPeek shows that the client returns every one of the FileMaker Server's test packets that go out once a minute.

We're having the same problem: clean 9.1 install, Filemaker Server 5.0v2 chugs along, and then looses network connectivity about every 24 hours. After reading this thread, I think it's time to go down to 9.04.

Since this thread started in January, we have put some hours on a set of four Apple Cubes running OS 9.0.4, FM Server 5.0v2, and Rambunctious persistent ram disk software. The cubes use additional cooling (fans added to the shelf the sit on) and have been very stable. -bd

This topic is 8402 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.