Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Disabling time stamping on Filemaker 10 Server scheduled backups

This topic is 5445 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm really enjoying the fact that FMS 10 is able to do retention by timestamping consecutive backups. This surely saves a lot of time since before I needed to create dozens of schedules on FMS 9 to have an acceptable amount of retained backups.

Now I'm trying to setup an automated shell command to perform rsync on the day's backup to an offsite server through ssh. The problem is that I need to have a predictable path to the backed up day's files so that my files properly do an incremental sync to the server without reuploading everything from scratch.

Since each time the server performs a backup it appends the folder with a time stamp it will cause rsync to create the new time stamped directory on the destination instead of updating the existing directory.

Has anyone found a way to turn off time stamping? Or does anyone know any work around? Only thing I could think of is scripting something to process the backup directory name and strip it of all digits right after the server backup is completed, then proceed with rsync.

Any help is highly appreciated.

I will release the new version of "Backups! MOre Backups" soon. It contains a shell script that you can use to target the most recent backup.

It will be available here and on my website (www.connectingdata, downloads section).

Nice to hear from you again Mr. Vodka ;)

Did you mean creating a Filemaker script in my files to be executed by the server which will move/copy my files to a specified path? I didn't know this was possible...or did you mean having the server just execute a shell script that'll do it's unixy voodoo?

Thanks Wim! I was a big fan of your back_to_zip script. But since our files are quite large I decided to just backup the deltas. I'll try to script this myself but I'll keep my eyes open for your contribution.

Hey Vlad.

Yes I meant creating a shell script and having server call that script.

BTW are you heading to DevCon this year?

This topic is 5445 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.